Chapter Fifty-Three

"What was that?" Morgan turned towards the loud crack that had erupted  from the opposite edge of the property. Both Morgan and Rossi were frozen in their tracks, heads turned towards the noise. They turned to each other in horror "Y/N!"

Morgan took off with Rossi hot on his heels as they rushed to where the noise had originated. They made it to the big house and stopped, listening again. "Over there!" Rossi had spotted the worn down shed and the pair took off towards it.

As they approached the front, they drew their pistols and each decided to round a side. The pair crept around their respective sides of the little building and came to the vacant back of the shack.

"Oh my god," Morgan was the first to notice the pool of blood just below the stairs to the porch. "We need to follow it," Rossi was working hard to keep from panicking as they followed the blood trail. The blood became spotty just before a small dirt road. "There's no way to tell which way he went. Oh my god." Morgan was pacing as he spoke while Rossi stood painfully still. "We need to call Hotch," Derek stopped at Rossi's words. "There's no service out here." Rossi nodded before speaking again, "alright, you stay here I'll drive until I get service and call the team in," he stepped to Morgan and gripped his shoulders, "I know you're blaming yourself right now, but for her sake I need you to stomp that panic down and stay alert. I'll be right back. Okay?" Morgan nodded, he appreciated Rossi's stern reminder, and Rossi ran towards the SUV.

Morgan paced for ten minutes before deciding to search the buildings. First, he checked the small shack. Upon entering, he was immediately hit with the stench of bleach. As he trudged through the tiny room he found many specimen jars with the various removed body parts of the women Clairiffe had been dismembering. The longer he stared the faster his heart raced as he imagined Y/N at the hands of someone like Clairiffe. Morgan found himself almost transfixed by the jars in front of him. So transfixed, in fact, that he didn't notice the sounds of the team arriving until someone was on the porch behind him.

He spun and drew his weapon as the door opened to reveal Rossi staring in shock. The gun clattered to the floor as Morgan's face clouded over with horror at what he had almost done. The rest of the team filed in at the noise and froze at the sight of the specimen jars. Morgan recovered and appraised the group to notice that Spencer was missing. "Where's Spence?" Morgan's voice sliced through the tension in the air only for it to be replace by tension twice as thick. The entire room was avoiding eye contact with him, until Jj stepped forward "he's uhm outside. He's distraught, as are the rest of us, but he's not in the best state of mind right now so I think we should give him a second."

Morgan's eyes narrowed. JJ was careful with her wording and Derek had picked up on what she was hiding. "He blames me, doesn't he?" The room was silent, "oh my god. You all do!" There was a chorus of denial from the room as Morgan rushed out of the shack, slamming the door behind him.

                            ****
The first thing you registered was a splitting headache. It felt like your brain had been shattered. You opened your eyes and winced at the pain of the light. Finally, you forced your eyes open. The room spun uncomfortably, and had a frustrating tendency to split into two or even three.

"Wakey wakey pretty girl," Clairiffe continued talking but your ears were ringing too loudly to understand. You tried to cover your ears and found your hands were bound to your sides by thick leather bands. You squinted against the light and tried to focus. Clairiffe's face came into view, "don't worry, you're no fun if you're delusional. I'll be back when you can think straight."

                              ****
Spencer watched as Morgan stormed out of the shack. Logically, he knew that there was nothing Morgan or Rossi could've done. It didn't stop the rage from bubbling in his chest at the sight of the man he'd once considered to be his brother. Spencer forced himself to stay rooted to his spot, he knew a fight wouldn't help. "You got something to say prettyboy?!" Derek's voice was loud with his fear and guilt but Spencer's vision was already clouded with rage. "I was gonna let you walk away," Reid's voice was crisp even though his hands were shaking with rage "oh please, like I need your permission to do anything."