Chapter Twenty-Four

You had actually managed to hold down both fro-yo and lunch with minimal difficulty. As much as you wanted to ferret out information about Spencer's favorite places you really didn't have the energy.

"No I'm for real take me to all the places you loved the best growing up!" The cheerful tone sounded sincere but you did not feel it. "Yeahh you are not fooling me. What do you wanna watch?" He was reclining casually across the bed, remote in hand. You searched every inch of his lovely face to see if he was at all bothered by staying here. From what you could tell he seemed entirely geniune. Still you couldn't help but ask, "are you sure? I really don't mind." Spencer smiled lovingly at you, "yes my love, I'm sure. Ooh star trek is on! Wanna watch?"

Dropping your purse on the dresser you climbed into Spencer's waiting arms and fully enjoyed listening to him rant about how surprisingly accurate star trek actually is, especially considering the time it came from. Even though you'd heard the speech a hundred times you still listened intently, positing as much information as you could.

You had never understood how the rest of the team seemed to just ignore Spencer's constant ramblings. He lit up like a puppy promised a walk. His nose scrunched when he talked too fast to catch a breath and his hands started flying around as fast as his words. Originally this had created a distaste for you regarding some of the team, especially when Seaver stood in for Jj. She had questioned Spencer on something about doctor who and when he had answered her question, albeit with more information than the answer required, she had stalked off. It was clear that he found her pretty and to watch his face fall when she was a bitch to him felt like taking a cheese grater to your heart. That was the day you decided that no matter what you would always listen to anything Spencer had to say.

Eventually it was time to leave for Diana's residence. You pulled out the outfit you had picked for this occasion. Black tights under a beige plaid skirt that fell close to your knees, much longer than you typically liked, and a black turtleneck sweater. Suddenly you doubted yourself, "will she be mad if I wear the locket?" You had worn it every day since Spencer had given it to you. He smiled at your question, "she'll love it, although I'd have to say it looks better on you."

You flushed slightly and began changing into your outfit. When everything was in place Spencer insisted on putting the locket on you, it was mostly covered by the turtleneck but you welcomed it's weight in the hollow of your throat. Spencer was dressed in a favorite outfit of yours, gray slacks with a blue sweater vest that was layered perfectly with the gray suit jacket he wore it with. Stopping by the door you pulled on your black doc martins and were off.

According to Spencer there were ten minutes between you and his mother. Your hands had started shaking and showed no signs of stopping. You were focusing all your energy on not hyperventilating. Upon noticing your nervous behavior Spencer placed his right hand on your tights-clad knee, "she's going to love you." You nodded once, "you better be right."

Spencer parked in a parking garage across from the building where his mother was taken care of. As he opened the car door for you you swallowed loudly, attempting to get a grip on your facial expressions before entering the building. "I-I I think I need a second." Spencer nodded and you bent at the hips, placing your hands on your knees and closing your eyes. While taking deep breaths you worked on pulling a sense of serenity over your being. Finally, you managed to look calm enough that only your fingers were giveaways to your anxiety; when you turned to Spencer you found him chewing anxiously on his lower lip. Deciding to get this over with, you spoke before he could, "no. I'm already decided and we're already here. Let's go meet Ms. Reid." At the end you held your hand out to Spencer and he eagerly took it, large hand engulfing yours and using his thumb to stroke comforting circles into your hand.