Chapter Twenty-Seven

You woke up two days before your anniversary wrapped in Spencer's bare arms. You vaguely remembered him changing out of his sweater vest and dress shirt ensemble. The sunlight streamed through the mostly-closed curtains, painting a sliver of glowing light across the bed.

You snuggled in closer to Spencer and he mumbled in his sleep. Looking up at him you noticed the sunlight playing with his messy hair. In that moment it was quite clear to you that  you had never felt more whole in your entire existence. All the physical and emotional abuse from your parents seemed a far away memory. Putting yourself through the academy with zero support seemed like the most worthwhile decision you'd ever made. The hell that Kam had put you through was momentarily forgotten as Spencer held you in the morning light. Stretching, you placed a light kiss to his exposed throat and he mumbled again. "Y/n" you gasped for you thought you had woken him but his eyes were still shut, jaw slack with sleep, and arms heavy on your back.

You kept curled on his chest, wholly content, for another half hour until he finally stirred. "Good morning love," you said sweetly against his throat. He groaned once in grogginess before constricting his arms around you. He winced once at the stinging his movement caused in his stitches but then his face relaxed and grew into a smile. "How are you so beautiful after just waking up?" His morning voice coupled with the compliment had your insides liquefying as he leaned down to kiss the top of your head.

The rest of the day passed in much of the same fashion, Spencer was almost glued to your hip and you were finding everything he did beautiful. Every three hours he let you change the bandages on his stitches, watching you with awestruck eyes as you worked. It was 5:30 pm and you were changing his bandages for the last time before starting to get ready to meet the girls downtown. When you finished he rolled his sleeve down and wrapped his arms around your waist, resting his chin on your head.

Finally, it was 6 and you were waiting downtown with Tara and Penelope, chatting casually as you waited for the others to arrive. Twenty minutes later and Jj and Emily joined the party. "So what exactly are we looking for?" Emily asked as soon as she was in earshot of the group. "Well I have no clue where Spence is taking me but he told me I should dress up, and I was thinking maybe getting some new lingerie to put under it for an extra surprise."

Penny grabbed your arm and dragged you down the strip, talking excitedly as she went. "Okay we're gonna find a dress first, then we'll match the lingerie to the dress, and last we'll get shoes and accessories to tie it all together." The rest of the girls laughed lovingly at her eccentrics as she led you all into one of the many stores along the strip.

The girls had you try on dresses of every color; your favorite, Spencer's favorite, Spencer's favorite for you to wear, each girl's favorite. And dresses in every style; long mermaid dresses, tulle ballgowns, short satin dresses, dresses with slits, tight dresses that highlighted your curves. Each one recieved praise from your entourage but none of them felt just right to you. You wandered the floor of your third store, trying to ignore the hopelessness that was building in your chest, when suddenly Tara approached you with a long, navy blue dress that was glittering in the lights.

Upon laying eyes on it you fell immediately in love with the dress, a large smile splitting your face as you took the dress from Tara's arms and walked to the dressing rooms. The dress had navy blue tulle sleeves embedded with glittering beads and a deep v neck that showed of your chest. The bottom of the dress had a flowy, beige slip covered by a layer of the same navy blue tulle that was also embedded with glittering beads. The dress made you look and feel like a princess.

   You walked out towards the girls and found yourself entirely captivated by the swishing of the skirt as you moved; this was definitely the dress. Upon seeing you their faces lit up, "that's definitely the dress," Jj declared and everyone agreed. "Give us a twirl!" Penny ordered and you didn't dare disobey. As you twirled the skirt swirled out and the glittering beads made the dress look like a starry night sky fanning out from your waist.

After buying the dress you were dragged to a small boutique that was gleaming with red and pink lights. Lingerie stood on mannequins lining the storefront windows. Emily was the one leading and she did not release your hand once inside the store. Instead she led you directly to a wall opposite the door. "And you know this place like the back of your hand because??" Teased Tara who earned a playful slap in reply. Emily handed you some lacy black pieces. The bra she handed you consisted of elegant, black lace with a beige backing in the cups so it gave the illusion of being entirely see through. She had also handed you some complicated looking bottoms. The bottoms consisted of a thong made of the same black lace as the bra that connected to a satin waist piece. The waist piece had glittering strands that connected to garters of the same black lace. From the looks of it nothing would be visible from under the dress. You handed Emily back the top and decided to look for a more showy item.

Within minutes you found what you were looking for, a bra made of the same black lace but had sparkling satin pieces that would cross over your tits and would show beautifully under the dress. Jj was suddenly eyeing you with a smirk, "you're gonna give him a heart attack." You blushed and looked down whispering, "you would be surprised." Tara of course heard and gasped in shock "details. Now." Your blush deepened and you shook your head no but Penny grabbed your arm, "come onnnnn y/n," she leaned in to whisper in your ear, "tell us or so help me I will find out." You rolled your eyes at her threat, she already knew, "I'll be sure to send you a video next time. He's just nowhere near inexperienced, like you thought. The man has magical fingers. And mouth. And d- well you get the idea."

The girls were processing your words as you walked to the cashier. Emily rested her head on your shoulder while the items were rung up, "when pretty boy sees you walk in in that he's gonna have a hard time keeping his thoughts pure." You chuckled slightly at her words and let the girls drag you down the strip to fit you with new shoes and accessories.

Stopping by your apartment you hid the new clothes, just in case Spencer looked for them. You wanted him to be fully surprised when he saw you. You tucked the items behind the filing cabinet that you had stuffed in the closet of what used to be your roommates room, careful to keep the dress from getting crumpled. After hiding the items you walked back out of your apartment and headed over to Spencer's.

You unlocked the door and walked into his apartment. Spencer had copied each of you keys for each other's apartments back when you had gotten shot. He now had his back to you in the kitchen and you walked quietly up behind him. He jumped a mile high when you wrapped your arms around his waist. "Oh! Hi love, did you have fun?" You smiled and nodded into his back, "yes but I missed my Spence." He turned in your arms, "what all did you get?" His expression was entirely curious but you shook your head. "Not a chance. We're doing this bridal style," he stiffened in your arms, eyes blown wide, you raised an eyebrow at him but continued talking, "you aren't allowed to see me until our actual anniversary." Your confusion turned the end of your sentence to sound like a question but he ignored it. His body language had returned to normal and all of a sudden he was smiling down at you again.

You spent the rest of the evening curled up on the couch with Spencer. He was reading to you and you had begun drifting off to the sound of his voice. "Love?" He shook your shoulder lightly, softening his voice when he found you to be asleep on his chest. "Baby wake up, let's get you to bed," you mumbled incoherently and held Spencer tighter causing his heart to swell in his chest. "You're gonna be uncomfortable tomorrow if you don't go to my bed," you grumbled again but finally sat up. He walked to the bedroom with you clinging to his side. You were thinking of nothing but his strong, warm body as he layed down and you crawled back onto him. Laying down you were engulfed in his familiar scent and fell quickly asleep, dreaming of spending hours listening to Spencer talk about things that interested him.