Chapter Nineteen

If Derek and Hotch hadn't been supporting Spencer, he would have collapsed. Even with them gripping his sides, he sagged towards the floor at the look on the surgeon's face.

The surgeon looked shocked and then suddenly embarrassed. "I'm sorry. I was thinking about a rather confounding. . ." He trailed off, "Never mind. Miss Y/l/n is going to make a full recovery." Spencer drooped again. This time in relief; he was going to be bruised from the grip Hotch and Morgan had on him, but he didn't care. "We have to keep her sedated for a while so she doesn't do anything to agitate the wound. Her leg is braced for the same reason. She was rather lucky, there were few bullet fragments, the shell had removed itself and no major arteries were hit," he paused and stared at the 9 people crowding him, "I'm only allowing three people in the room at a time." Spencer broke from his supports and declared that he would not be leaving your side. The rest of the team nodded in understanding. Derek and Penelope decided to have the first round with Spencer.

Spencer gripped the hand that was lacking ivs and bent his head over your entertwined hands. "I'll make a visiting chart," chimed Penelope, and Spencer grimaced, remembering the last time she had had to make a visiting chart.

Two days later and you were still heavily sedated. Spencer had only left your side for the bathroom since he had been allowed in your room. The team had been bringing him food. His clothes were crusted with your dried blood. Jj walked carefully into the room. "Spence," she laid a comforting hand on his shoulder, "she's not supposed to wake up until tomorrow. Go take a break, shower, and get some real food. You'll feel better out of those clothes, I promise." Spencer knew she was right but couldn't make himself leave your side. He simply shook his head at her. She sighed, "I was afraid you would say that. Uhm, well, the boys are outside ready to drag you out, so I would go peacefully if I were you." Her tone was joking, but the silhouettes on the outside of the door suddenly seemed menacing.

Spencer sighed. He leaned over you to place a careful kiss on your forehead, "I'll be back in 20 minutes at the most, I promise." Then he turned to Jj, "if she wakes up, you call me immediately." She nodded, and he rushed out of the hospital.

Spencer returned in exactly fifteen minutes after showering at the hotel the team was staying at. His long, wet hair was dripping down his back, and he kept shoving it off of his forehead. Tara, Emily, and Hotch were sitting in the room with you, Hotch excused himself when Spencer knocked on the door.

Around three hours later, the sedatives began to wear off, and you opened your eyes to a dark room. The drugged feeling freaked you out. You jerked your head around, trying to remember what had led you here. Some machine began beeping incredibly fast, almost in time with your heart. Wait, no. It was timed exactly with your heart. Then you saw a mop of familiar, messy brown hair resting against the white sheet next to your thigh. You could feel them breathing slowly over the back of your hand.

Everything caught up to you in a rush. The case. The lead. The shot. Spencer pleading in the ambulance. Blacking out. And now waking up.

The anniversary.

You gasped again, and Spencer shot up, glancing around the room. When his weary eyes finally landed on you, tears began streaming down his face as he smiled at you. Before you could utter a single word, he mashed his lips to yours. His worries and stress poured out of him with the kiss and you could feel the strain he was under. Spencer pulled away, resting his forehead against yours. With your eyes still closed, you reached up and stroked his face with an iv covered hand, "I'm sorry." Spencer's face froze, "what? You're? You're sorry? For what? For doing your job? No. Do not apologize to me. For my sanity, do not apologize. I should be apologizing, and beyond that, I should be groveling. I'm so sorry, my love, I should have forced you to let me go through the door first."