Chapter Twenty-Eight

The day before the anniversary was miserable. Your stomach was knotted with nerves, head swimming with doubts. What if he doesn't like the watch? What if he doesn't like the outfit? Spencer seemed to be equally as nervous but he was much better at pretending otherwise. Where you were constantly fidgeting he remained cool and collected. Only the slight twitch of his brows alert you to his anxiety.

You had attempted to make breakfast but your nerves had gotten the best of you. Spencer had had to rescue you from yourself. Upon transferring the scrambled eggs from pan to plate the hot pan managed to slip right through your shaking fingers, banging your knee as it went down.

Spencer rushed towards the clatter and the profanities leaving your mouth. "What's wrong?!" He surveyed the damage, quickly picking the pan off of the floor. "I was just trying to make breakfast but it slipped and hit my knee and now my knee is fucking burnt. It was literally scrambled eggs I'm a fucking imbecile." You were ranting in frustration and he silenced you with a kiss. For a second you considered biting him, but your body betrayed you and curved to meet his.

Spencer was now standing over your position seated on the kitchen counter, taking care of the angry burn on your left knee. The sunlight slipped through the break in the curtains and caught Spencer's hair. You were entirely captivated by his brown locks glittering with gold that were framing your gorgeous boyfriend's face. He was still bent over your knee when you reached up to toy with the glittering curls, earning a magnificent grin from the love of your life. In that moment everything seemed right.

The rest of the day passed with the same sort of chaos. At 7 o'clock you were too nervous to function and decided a run was just what you needed. "Y/n I am not letting you go run alone again." You're mind snapped to the last time you had run alone, under much different circumstances. "Well I thought you didn't like running," you had never seen Spencer run outside of work and he was pretty loud about being uncoordinated. He chuckled, stepping so close that you could feel his breath fanning on your face, "I'm not planning on running with you, I know it's you're alone time and I would never dream of taking it away from you. I'll bring a book, or maybe work some of the impossible math questions. I just wanna be close enough to help this time." He winced, clearly thinking of all the times he had been too far, you cupped his cheek with your hand "you're entirely too hard on yourself love."

Spencer had let you drive his car to the park. He kept his hand on your thigh the entire ride. Arriving at the park he open your door and pulled you into a slow kiss. Your lips were moving in slow synchronicity as he pulled your back to bow against his body. Once you were breathless he pulled away slowly, tugging lightly on your bottom lip. You inhaled in a rush, slightly dizzy and he chuckled. "I'll be right here if you need me love."

It took the entirety of your first mile to find your rhythm. Each time you passed Spencer he eyed your black spandex appreciatively, eyes crinkling with a beautiful smile. The anniversary stress dripped out of you with each passing step, fatigue taking its place. By the fifth mile you were exhausted and the sun beating down on you only added to your tiredness. You finished the sixth mile, walking the last lap and approached Spencer again. It was now 8 pm and the sun was beginning to set. Spencer stepped towards you for a hug, "uh you might not wanna do that I'm all gross and swe-" he ignored you and engulfed you in a tight hug.

You barely had enough energy for a shower when you returned home. You shaved trying not to think about the occasion you were shaving for. After dragging on some pajamas and brushing your teeth you were entirely exhausted. You climbed into bed where Spencer lay reading some book. You wiggled between his arms and lay on his chest, earning a watm smile and a forehead kiss.

You didn't even remember falling asleep but next thing you know you're waking up due to Spencer's movements. It hit you that it was the one year and suddenly your nerves were nowhere to be found, you felt nothing but pure joy at the thought of Spencer still loving you after a whole year of putting up with your shit. You decided he deserved a reward and slid carefully out of his arms to make breakfast.