Chapter Fifty-Four

Hotch made his way around the table, half expecting most of the team to back out. At the very least, he knew that Spencer, Derek, and himself would be doing any and everything to get Y/N home safe. To his surprise, no one refused. "Alright. The appointment has been set for 8pm tonight. Garcia has sent the chips already. From here on out, no one will go anywhere without a buddy. I understand we're attempting to get captured, but it will be a waste of time if no one knows you've disappeared."

The buddies had been assigned by Garcia. Her face was stained with tears and her voice was unusually somber as she informed each member who their buddy was. In her typical fashion, she tried to keep the group happy and uplifted, but she just couldn't hide her own fear. Rossi and Emily had been paired together while Tara and Alvez we're together. Jj and Matt had been made a team while Spencer and Morgan were lumped together. The team was somewhat apprehensive about the two of them together but ultimately let it go. Hotch had volunteered to be the odd man out, despite the multitude of objections from the rest of the team. Everyone refused to let each other out of their sight until the tracking chips had been implanted. The implantation itself was incredibly painful.  Had the circumstances been different, it would've been funny to see the men realize what horror the IUD really was.

Spencer didn't so much as flinch as the chip was shoved into his arm. He'd stopped talking unless he had something that could help find Clairiffe. His eyes were sunken and hollow. He almost looked as if he were a dead man walking. His skin had paled and now looked almost gray. The team was worried about him but they doubted they would look any better in his position.

                               ****
Your eyes opened to a cracked, yellowing cieling. You were shocked to find that Clairiffe had placed you, unrestrained, in a bedroom. You sat up, trying to ignore the throbbing just above your left eye. The memory of Clairiffe digging his knife into your scalp threatened to bring you to tears, but you forced yourself to stand up. You needed to gather details about where you were. You'd find a way to reach the team later.

It was clear the walls of your room had once been pink but the wallpaper was peeling off, leaving behind a putrid yellow color. There was a window just above the head of the bed. You approached it, hoping with all your might to see a road or civilization of some kind. Upon looking out of the window, you saw nothing but forest for miles. Louisiana forest was much different than Virginia forest. Trees here were alive with flower buds, but that fact didn't help your chances of escape any.

You surveyed the room and noticed a folded piece of paper on the rotting dresser. Approaching it, you noticed there was writing on it.

"I'll return home at 6pm tonight. I expect dinner to be prepared. Set an extra plate, as I'm going fishing. Hopefully, I'll get a bite."

                               ****
The team was desperate to set their plan in action, but so far Clairiffe hadn't made a grab for any other members. Hotch sent Emily and Rossi to comb Clairiffe's house. They nodded solemnly as they left, both hopeful and afraid of getting caught.

Hotch was beginning to get impatient. He didn't feel right sending his team members to what was almost certainly torture, though each member was aware of the risk they were taking by staying. The team had been watching Spencer closely, he was unraveling quickly. He hardly ate, slept, or spoke anymore. He'd picked up quite a habit of puking at the sight of any new evidence that pointed towards Y/N's torture and/or death. Morgan was tasked with keeping an eye on him but any chance he got he tried to slip away. He was making himself as vulnerable as possible to Clairiffe. The tension was making everyone antsy.

The team was meeting in Hotch's hotel room when Hotch mentioned needing a group to come with him to retrieve some files from the police station. Immediately, Spencer volunteered and Morgan wasn't about to let him go without him. Hotch told the team to expect them back in no more than twenty-five minutes. And with that, the trio left the hotel. Morgan drove and Hotch went to retrieve the files.