Chapter 3 - All the Newsies in One Place

"Davey, I have to babysit Brooklyn and Andy tomorrow," Jack informed Davey, "do you want to stay and help, or are you going to go do something else?"

"I'd love to stay and help, but I'm gonna substitute teach tomorrow, remember?" Davey shrugged.

"Oh, right," Jack sighed, "sorry,"

"I should probably shower tonight so I don't have to wake up too early tomorrow," Davey reasoned.

"Ooh, care if I join you?" Jack chuckled.

"What?" Davey blinked.

"I was joking, obviously," Jack shook his head.

"Of course," Davey rolled his eyes.

"And if I wasn't?" Jack questioned.

"I..." Davey paused, "I shouldn't take too long, we should head to bed soon, anyway,"

"Alright," Jack shrugged, "see you in a bit, then,"

Jack waited until he heard the shower turn on before he got his art supplies out. He remembered several years earlier, he promised Davey that he'd make a painting for their wedding. He just had to find time to do it without Davey knowing.

Jack was in deep focus working on his art when he heard the bathroom door open and almost fell out of his chair trying to put the painting back in his desk drawer.

"Are you okay, Jackie?" Davey asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Jack nodded.

"Do you know where my comb went?" Davey questioned.

"I saw it on the table," Jack relied.

"Ok, thanks," Davey left the room and came back just a few seconds later, combing his hair, "so, what are you up to?"

"It's a surprise," Jack smiled.

"You always do this to me," Davey groaned, "you of all people know I hate suspense,"

"You're going to be okay," Jack promised.

"I'm going to go to bed," Davey put his comb down.

"I like your pajamas, by the way," Jack stood up, "oh, wait, those are mine,"

"They're so warm," Davey pouted.

"Fine, you can wear them," Jack chuckled, "I've gotta go brush my teeth,"

"Thank you," Davey sat down on the bed and waited for Jack to leave the bathroom. He had to admit, he was nervous to start substitute teaching. He always got nervous about big things like this, and as far as he knew, only one thing could calm his nerves; Jack Kelly.

Jack always seemed to know how to calm Davey down, and that was one of the things Davey loved about Jack.

"You're nervous about tomorrow," Jack noticed once he got out of the bathroom.

"Yeah," Davey sighed, "I know,"

"Alright," Jack sat next to Davey, "I know you just need to hear me say it out loud. You're going to be fine. Worst thing that could happen is... well, the worst thing that's going to happen is that you're probably going to have to talk to Pulitzer,"

"That's partially what I'm nervous about," Davey shrugged, "we didn't get along when I was a student,"

"I don't think he can legally say anything, if he does... the superintendent is my... step-dad," Jack forced the sentence out.

"Oh, yeah. Medda and Superintendent Roosevelt got married," Davey smiled, "I forgot about that,"

"I try not to think about it," Jack cringed, "but, anyway, you have nothing to worry about. Your own brother is going to be there,"