Chapter 14 - Oh No

"Ready to go to the pride parade?" Sarah asked Katherine. June had finally arrived, and they were excited to take Bethany.

"I'll be right out, just give me a minute," Katherine replied.

"Are you feeling okay? Do we need to stay home?" Sarah questioned.

"I'm getting my shoes on," Katherine laughed, "I'm fine, Sarah,"

"Okay, sorry," Sarah got the car keys off the hook.

"We should walk," Katherine suggested, "it's not that far,"

"I don't know if that's really a good idea," Sarah admitted.

"Sarah, it's been a month, I'm fine," Katherine insisted.

"Okay," Sarah put the keys away, "Come on, Bethany, we need to go get the stroller,"

"No," Bethany crossed her arms.

"Why not?" Sarah questioned.

"No stroller," Bethany shook her head.

"You have to go in the stroller," Sarah picked up Bethany. Bethany didn't try to fight, she just looked angry.

"If you stay in the stroller the whole time, we'll buy you ice cream on our way home," Katherine promised, "ice cream sounds really good, actually,"

"Ha, I'm sure it does," Sarah put Bethany in the stroller and they left their apartment, making sure to lock their door.

"Or cranberry chocolate," Katherine tried to take over pushing the stroller, but Sarah wasn't having it.

"You need to be careful," Sarah put the hood up on the stroller to block the sun from Bethany's eyes.

"Sarah," Katherine groaned, "I'm not going to hurt myself pushing a stroller,"

"Kath, I've been in the place you're in, and I just want you to be careful," Sarah sighed, "but, alright, you can push the stroller,"

"Mommy okay?" Bethany looked back at Katherine.

"I'm fine, Bethany," Katherine smiled, "but Mama doesn't seem to trust me,"

"It's not that I don't trust YOU," Sarah defended, "I just want you to be careful,"

"Hey there, ladies," Race  seemed to materialize out of thin air behind the girls.

"Where did you come from?" Sarah looked behind her, Spot and Nate were close behind Race.

"We took a Taxi to your street because we wanted to see if you wanted to walk to the parade with us, but I guess you two had already left," Race explained.

"But we caught up with you anyway," Nate added, "hello,"

"Hi, Nate," Katherine replied, "how are you?"

"I've never been to a pride parade before," Nate chuckled, "I'm a little nervous, but I think that's supposed to be expected when you're doing something new,"

"I was in High School before I went to my first pride parade," Katherine informed him.

"How come?" Nate questioned.

"Because my friends and I must have been raised by the ONLY homophobic people in ALL of New York," Katherine rolled her eyes.

"That's not true," Sarah scoffed, "there are plenty of homophobic people in New York, more than is worth mentioning,"

"And Pulitzer happens to be one of them," Katherine grumbled.

"Please don't get all worked up over this, we've all agreed that Bethany never finds out who Pulitzer is," Sarah reminded her.