Chapter 7 - Truth

Jack usually didn't like to sit still for more than an hour, but he could have sat at the table signing books all day. He loved how excited people - mostly middle schoolers - were to meet him and get their books signed. Even after the book signing was over, he stayed in the bookstore because he was supposed to meet Davey there when Davey was done substitute teaching. 

However, when Davey was 10 minutes late to the bookstore, Jack started to get worried.

Jack-Davey

Jack: Hey, are you alright?

Davey: Oh, yeah, I'm sorry! I stopped for coffee on the way and ran into Alexis!

Jack: Who?

Davey: Alexis April, remember? The woman we met at the airport, you signed a book for her nephew?

Jack: Oh, yeah, her. That's cool. Small world.

Davey: Yeah, she's with me right now, we're on our way to the bookstore.

Jack: Oh...

Davey: Is that not okay?

Jack: Oh, it's fine, why wouldn't it be? 

Davey: I know we don't know her well, but she seems nice.

Jack: Alright.

Davey: Okay, see you in a bit, love you!

Jack: Love you, too.

Jack picked up a Muffin & Bear book from the bookshelf and flipped through to the middle pages. There was something he had snuck onto page 64 of every Muffin & Bear book so far, and only eagle-eyed fans would notice. There was always a little red ladybug in the background, a tribute to Jack living in New York, after all, they were the state insect. He had been tagged in about three posts asking if the ladybug had a name, but Jack had never gotten around to naming them. 

"How are you, Mr. Kelly?" one of the bookstore worker asked.

"It's Jack, but... I'm alright," Jack replied.

"We appreciate you coming in today, I'm surprised there's even a Muffin & Bear book left," The bookstore worker chuckled.

"Yeah," Jack nodded.

"Well, I'll leave you to whatever it is you're doing, Mr. Kelly," the bookstore worker walked away.

"Jack," Jack mumbled.

Suddenly the door opened and Davey and Alexis entered the bookstore.

"Dave," Jack put the book back on the shelf.

"Sorry I'm late," Davey apologized.

"It's okay," Jack shrugged, "how was substitute teaching?"

"Uneventful," Davey replied.

"You substitute teach?" Alexis asked, "that's crazy, I'm a student teacher. What school do you substitute at?"

"World High," Davey answered, "Jack and I went there when we were younger,"

"Oh my gosh, awesome," Alexis nodded, "I work at Sun Middle school,"

"We went there, too," Jack chuckled.

"No way!" Alexis laughed, "well, I have to get home to my dog, it was nice to see you again! I'll text you later Davey!" she left the bookstore and started home.

"You exchanged numbers?" Jack questioned.

"I'm allowed to have friends, Jackie," Davey scoffed.

"I know, but you barely know her," Jack pointed out, "I never said you weren't allowed to have friends,"