Chapter 29 - Bunked

"Sarah, Sarah, come quick! Johnny's walking!" Katherine called from the front room.

Sarah ran in and saw Johnny slowly making his way over to the coffee table, one step at a time.

"That's our boy!" Sarah went and scooped him up, "great job, Johnny!"

Johnny giggled and grabbed at Sarah's headband.

"Alright, can you walk to Mommy?" Sarah set Johnny back down on his feet, facing him towards Katherine.

"Yeah, come here, Johnny," Katherine held her hands out.

Johnny wasn't interested in Katherine, however. He turned around and continued his journey to the coffee table. There wasn't even anything on the coffee table, so Katherine and Sarah couldn't figure out why he wanted to go there so bad. At least, not until he started patting it with his hands like he was drumming.

"Maybe we should have gotten him those baby bongos," Sarah figured, "instead of the train,"

"Maybe," Katherine agreed, "But he can drum on the coffee table until then,"

"He's so precious," Sarah smiled, "but I've got to get back to work, you good?"

"Yep," Katherine nodded and watched Sarah go back into the bedroom, "Johnny, come here, do you want to play with your train?" She held up the colorful wind-up train toy.

Johnny looked over at her, seemingly unsure of what to do. 

"Look, Johnny," Katherine twisted the wind-up key and sent the train towards Johnny, "Choo, Choo! Next stop, Johnny!"

Johnny looked down at the train, then back at Katherine.

"Choo, choo!" Katherine made a motion like she was pulling a chain for a train whistle, "that's the sound a train makes,"

Johnny laughed and sat down next to the train. He pushed it back to Katherine, so Katherine wound it up again and sent it back towards Johnny, "Choo, choo!"

Johnny laughed again.

"Oh, is it just the sound you like?" Katherine noticed Johnny was looking at her and not the train, "do you think it's funny when I go 'Choo, choo!'"

Johnny laughed again.

"Okay, I see how it is," Katherine nodded, "you like it when I make funny noises," she got a basket of Bethany's toy animals out of the play tent, "pick an animal and I'll tell you what noise it makes," she set the basket in front of Johnny.

Johnny reached into the basket and grabbed a turtle.

"Oh," Katherine paused, "I don't think turtles make a noise... how about... a pig?" She took the toy pig out of the basket, "piggies sound like this," she made a snorting sound like a pig, which Johnny found very amusing.

When Sarah finished work for the day, she found Katherine and Johnny still sitting on the floor, making animal sounds and laughing.

"What are you doing?" She blinked.

"Okay, Sarah, what does a lion say?" Katherine tossed the toy lion to Sarah.

"Uh... roar?" Sarah chuckled.

"Come on, Sarah, like you mean it," Katherine stood up and picked up Johnny.

"Oh, ROOOOOAR!" Sarah exclaimed, Johnny burst out laughing. 

"Isn't that the cutest?" Katherine beamed, "also... do you happen to know if turtles or sharks make sounds?"

"I'm not sure about turtles, but I'm pretty sure sharks go DUN-NUN," Sarah joked.