Chapter 22 - Washington

"This isn't the way to the airport," Andrew had studied google maps and could tell that the way they were going wasn't going to take them to the airport at all. 

"We're picking up some people to go with us," Maine told him.

"Who?" Brooklyn asked.

"Whose home does it look like we're going to?" Crutchie pointed out the window.

"Uncle Jack's," Andrew realized, "are uncle Jack and uncle Davey coming with us?"

"It took some convincing, but yeah," Maine nodded. 

"They're only coming because their friend Alexis begged to take care of their dog," Crutchie added, "and the tickets were cheap,"

When they got there, Maine went up to get Jack and Davey while Crutchie moved the twins to the back seats. When Maine got back with Jack and Davey, they put their suitcases in the trunk and got in the car.

"I've never been to the West Coast before," Davey admitted.

"I think I'm the only one who has," Maine chuckled, "You've never seen a Washington sunset or breathed Washington air,"

"Honestly, I'm really excited for the sunset," Jack expressed, "that'll be fun to paint,"

"Just so you know, we're staying with my grandma's old friend, Howie. I haven't seen him since I was a little kid, but he was like an uncle to me and he was nice enough to let us stay with him," Maine informed everyone, "I think he's lonely since all of his roommates moved out,"

"Your grandma's friend had roommates?" Davey chuckled, "wouldn't he be pretty old?"

"Yeah, he's like... sixty, but all of his roommates went to a nursing home or something and he kept the house," Maine explained, "which is fortunate for us because it means we don't have to get a hotel room,"

Brooklyn was excited to be in an airport, but Andrew was afraid of getting lost, so Maine held him most of the time. They sat by the window at their gate so Brooklyn could watch all the planes taking off. 

"Mimi, I'm scared," Andrew hugged Maine.

"Do you want to sit next to me and Dad or with uncle Jack and uncle Davey?" Maine asked.

"You and Dad," Andrew answered immediately. 

"Alright. Brookie, are you okay with sitting next to your uncles?" Maine looked at the other twin.

"Yep," Brooklyn replied without looking away from the window.

"Aren't the airplanes cool, Brooklyn?" Jack smiled.

"Yeah," Brooklyn pressed her hands against the window, "Dad, how do the airplanes fly when they're so big?"

"I... I'm not sure, come google it with me," Crutchie got his phone out. Brooklyn finally left the window and went to sit next to Crutchie.

"How are you two so good at parenting?" Davey questioned.

"We just took everything we've seen parents do that we DON'T like, and then we don't do those things," Maine chuckled, "then we come up with creative ways to teach our kids important lessons... Crutchie-muffin, could you take the twins to the bathroom so they don't have to go when we're on the plane?"

"Absolutely," Crutchie used his crutch to help him stand up, "let's go to the bathroom, kids,"

When Crutchie and - more importantly - the twins were out of earshot, Maine continued, "I once had Crutchie 'accidentally' trip me with his crutch so we could teach the kids that it's okay to make mistakes,"