Chapter 44 - Loose Ends and Such

"Mom, can I ask you something?" Jack asked Medda, his family and Crutchie's family was over at Medda's house to surprise Lexi when she came home for summer break. 

"Sure," Medda looked up from her cooking, "ask away,"

"What exactly DO you do?" Jack questioned, "I mean, I know you perform, but what sort of performing do you do?"

"There's a question I thought I'd get sooner," Medda chuckled, "musical improv,"

"What?" Jack blinked.

"I take whatever suggestions the audience gives me, and whoever I'm performing with and I will improvise a musical around it," Medda explained, "it wasn't always like that, I've done different things throughout the years, but I've done this the longest and I like it the most," 

"Oh," Jack nodded, "I don't know what I was expecting, I was talking to a guy about it and he made it seem like... I don't know,"

"My shows can get interesting... we take ANY suggestions," Medda went back to cooking, "you can ask Teddy about it, he's been to a show or two,"

"Your mother is an amazing performer," Teddy was setting the table, "but... her shows aren't exactly to my taste,"

Out of nowhere, Andrew called out, "IT'S NOT A CRUSH!"

"Woah, what's going on?" Maine went over to where their kids were playing.

"Mimi, Brooklyn keeps saying I have a crush on Maddox but I'm to young to have a crush!" Andrew looked up at Maine.

Maine looked at Crutchie, then back at her kids, "Brooklyn, stop teasing your brother, but Andrew, you're not too young to have a crush anymore. That doesn't mean you DO have one, but a lot of kids your age have crushes,"

"You're just too young to date anyone," Crutchie added.

"What?!" Andrew didn't know how to feel about this news, "But I don't want to have a crush!"

"Why not?" Brooklyn giggled, "Having a crush is so fun. It's like having a friend, but they make you even MORE happy,"

"How do you know that, Brookie?" Crutchie raised an eyebrow, "Are you saying YOU have a crush?"

"Maybe," Brooklyn looked off to her left, "Okay, yes. I have a crush on a boy named Lee, he's really funny and he taught me how to draw 3D shapes,"

"But I don't WANT to have a crush," Andrew repeated.

"I've been there," Davey chuckled, "when we were in middle school, I wanted so badly not to have a crush on Jack, but that's not really something you can control,"

"And you might not have a crush on Maddox, we're not saying you definitely do," Maine reiterated, "We're just saying that would be okay,"

Everyone went silent as they heard the front door unlock. When Lexi entered the house, she was shocked and thrilled to see all of her family there. 

"I can't believe you're all here!" She ran and hugged her brothers, "I missed you so much,"

"Aunt Lexi!" Andrew and Brooklyn jumped up and ran to their aunt. 

"Brookie and Andy!" Lexi crouched down and hugged them, "I heard that I have another little niece now," she stood up, "Where's Paige?" 

"Right here," Davey held Paige up, "do you want to hold her?"

"Um... yeah," Lexi went and took Paige from him, "well isn't she the most precious thing ever,"

"Do we get a hug, too?" Medda called from the kitchen.