Chapter 34 - Mr. Kelly

"We can't thank you enough for watching Johnny," Katherine thanked Jack, "we know you should have been getting ready to teach tomorrow,"

"No, it's my pleasure, it's the least I could do to repay you for walking Nugget tomorrow," Jack insisted, "and I'd do anything to get my mind off teaching," It was a few months into the school year and Jack finally had a substituting job.

"Davey says you'll be fine," Sarah pointed out.

"I know, but-" Jack was cut off by Sarah.

"And you trust Davey, don't you?" Sarah smiled.

Jack sighed, "Yes, I do,"

"SO, you'll do just fine," Katherine insisted. Jack nodded and left the apartment to head home. He couldn't sleep that night, and Davey knew it.

"You're not sleeping," Davey finally spoke after they'd been in bed for half an hour, "I know you're anxious, would it help to talk about it?"

"I finally understand how you felt all throughout school," Jack shuddered, "every big event, first day of school, the talent show... goodness,"

"Yeah, this about sums it up," Davey agreed, "you're the only reason I never had a panic attack throughout middle school and high school,"

"I am?" Jack blinked.

"You can ask Katherine, I almost lost it when I started college," Davey shrugged, "all I'm saying is I know how you feel,"

"So what do I do about it?" Jack hoped Davey would have answers.

"Just remember that I'm just in the next hallway," Davey reminded him, "I'll come visit you during my planning period, you can come visit me during yours,"

"Alright," Jack started to feel better, "still nervous to teach, though,"

"That's something you just have to do before you realize it's not that scary," Davey admitted, "I love you,"

"I love you, too, goodnight," Jack rolled onto his side and eventually fell asleep, only to be woken up by Davey's alarm clock. 

Davey helped Jack pick out some good clothes to be a teacher, complete with Jack's substitute lanyard. Jack hated the photo on the lanyard, but Davey thought Jack looked great in it. 

Davey went to the kitchen to make iced coffee while Jack brushed his teeth and combed his hair.  

Jack filled Nugget's food bowl and made sure Sarah was still on board to walk Nugget later, and then Davey noticed Jack's abnormally neat hair. 

"Jack, come here," Davey walked over and gently ruffled Jack's hair.

"What are you doing?" Jack stepped away.

"You look better when your hair is a little messy," Davey explained, "and you feel better when you don't have to worry about ruining it," 

Jack realized that Davey was right, so he just nodded and went with it. 

"Also, I don't want any students to know that we're married, so don't tell them," Davey added.

"How come?" Jack questioned.

"It's just... I don't know, I don't want them obsessing over it. I already have one student who did that last year," Davey shook his head

Jack viewed his first class of the day as a trial run, a practice. 

"Hey," he greeted his class, "I'm your substitute... My name is Mr..." Jack paused when he realized he hadn't planned which last name to use, "uhh... Mr. Kelly," he decided this was better for any students who might recognize him, and so no one would guess he was married to Davey.