37

Fan and MePad's conversation eventually seemed to fizzle out a bit, Fan just mostly being stuck in his own thoughts. So, MePad slowly gave up on trying to keep the mood up, carefully getting up and walking over to the door. That's when they heard something... odd? A panicked voice that felt far too familiar, as MePad peeked their head out of the room, seeing... another familiar figure pulling away a MePhone model by its leg, down the hallway as it begged. As they turned the corner, their eyes drifted down to the gun on the floor, them just staring at it wordlessly, as Fan peeked out of the room now too, standing much lower than MePad.

"What was that about..?" Fan asked, but MePad was a bit too preoccupied to respond as a bit of pain coursed through their system, sending them staggering back as they unblocked a memory.

-

It was a week prior, on a very quiet day at... wherever they were in the moment, and they sat peacefully against a wall outside, enjoying the lovely spring weather.

"MePad..?" A voice called out, as they opened their eyes, looking over to the voice.

"Yes?"

"Can... I talk to you?" MePhone's expression seemed mellow, and saddened.

"Of course. I'm always here to listen," MePad answered, as MePhone stepped out of the building, taking a seat next to its friend, and sitting in silence for a few minutes, before finally speaking.

"I... I just..." MePhone groaned, putting its face in its hands, and bringing its knees closer to its chest.

"Take your time."

"You... Do believe all this, right? You're not just... Pretending?" MePhone moved his hands away, looking at MePad.

"Trust me, I've been given enough proof, and I'm sure you would know if I were lying." MePad took up a soft, reassuring tone as they spoke.

"I just... Every time I try to tell someone that he's created-- they just... never listen, and 4S was the first one to listen, but... it just... didn't care. I'm just... having a hard time believing you do, no matter how genuine you are, and I'm... sorry."

"I know it's hard to trust objects sometimes, and I'm willing to give you as much time as you need. We don't necessarily need to fully trust each other to do the right thing,"

"I... guess you're right." MePhone sighed out, letting its hands fall to its sides. MePad gave it a look that implied they would be giving a reassuring smile if they could. MePhone gave an unsure smile back.

"We are... doing the right thing." MePhone stated, though their tone made it unclear if that was a statement or question.

"We are." MePad reassured it, just in case.

-

And MePad was back in the present, having fallen against a table in the room, completely unresponsive to Fan, who had been shaking them for a moment.

"MePad are-- are you okay?" Fan panicked, stepping back as they blinked, and looked over to Fan. They then looked around the room, their eyes landing on a camera in one of the corners.

"I'm fine." Their tone shifted to one, slightly more serious, as they looked away from the camera, and back to Fan, their expression now also seeming more serious. But now wasn't the time to discuss this. They couldn't risk it.

~

The night before the mission, Knife sat on the couch, scrolling through his phone, unable to sleep, like most nights after having taken up this job, and receiving the prophecy from Candle, it was all just so... serious, and grim. It kept him awake. So on most nights, he ended up mindlessly scrolling through his phone to keep any thoughts of his impending fate away. It was past midnight now, when he received a text.