47

MePhone didn't have anywhere to go, but at least now, it wasn't alone. Despite MePhone feeling the two didn't have much to relate to, MePad decided to stick around... But MePhone didn't really mind, as much as it made it seem like it did. The two visited Knife briefly, unable to stay long due to visiting hours, and then they were out on the streets. So MePhone returned to where all of this had started. The empty parking garage where his van used to reside. The van that had been thoroughly messed up. Sure, it would be nice to be able to generate a new one, but all MePhone could generate were smaller items. Surely with all of the city bustling around about the events of the past few days, it could just steal another meeple car, one last; 'screw you' to its creator, but... there was no use. So it, and MePad just sat on the top floor, gazing up at the night sky. It was silent for what felt like hours before either of them thought to speak.

"Are you going to be alright?" MePad looked over to MePhone, the light from the full moon reflecting off its screen, as it kept its eyes shut, and its remaining arm placed in its lap.

"Yeah, I'll manage." MePhone kept up a casual tone, trying to deflect from having to deal with an actual serious conversation.

"Will you though?" This certainly wasn't what MePhone had expected MePad to say. It sighed, and took a moment to think.

"I... Don't know." MePhone spoke a bit slow, as if it were processing those words itself. MePhone hated feeling so vulnerable. But there was nothing to be done about that at this moment. MePhone opened its eyes after a while, unable to help that its gaze kept falling onto the exposed wires where its arm had been. It felt so weird without it... The fact it felt like a freak for only having one arm at the moment not really helping its case. MePhone figured it'd just get a new one-- but really, how would it even go about doing that?

How would it go about doing really anything now? Cobs had made at least one point. That MePhone truly had nowhere left to go. No proper home. That it truly has nowhere it belongs after all this...

No, that couldn't be a good way to think. MePhone quickly shoved away those thoughts, as it looked up at the night sky, and the shining stars.

"What are you going to do now?" MePad asked, their gaze also moving up to the sky as they talked.

"I don't know. I'm sure we'll figure something out..."

"We?" MePad raised an eyebrow

"Well yeah, you're sticking around, right?" MePhone finally let itself smile for the first time in... what felt like so long.

"Of course. We will figure it out then." MePad, though unable to properly emote, made it clear that they were happy.

Neither of them had a place to go, but at least they had each other.

--

The next morning, MePhone and MePad got up bright and early, having spent the night resting under the stars, to go... anywhere else. MePhone was done lingering where its past once was. It was ready to make a new path. A new path that didn't have to worry about being hurt, or hunted by some horrible horrible man.

MePhone was finally allowed to feel free, and safe, and honestly, as long as that feeling stayed, MePhone didn't care where it ended up.

Though, it soon became apparent that this new path was going to have to be put on hold. 

The two of them were  on the outskirts of town, walking along a sidewalk just to be walking, keeping up a calm, normal conversation about all sorts of things, and though it was mostly MePhone talking about the logistics of how reality television works from the few snippets of things it's seen over the years, MePad at least seemed to be interested in the topic.