63

MePad's search for MePhone resulted in nothing. He had visited everywhere they thought it could've been in the almost week they've been searching, but nothing. Even teleporting seemed to be for naught, as if MePhone, or someone else had blocked the ability to just teleport directly to it.

Which made MePad worried. Sure, the two had a little bit of an argument, but was MePhone really that pressed to just completely ghost them? Surely that couldn't be the case.

So as a last resort, MePad visited Knife.

"Hello?" MePad stepped into the room, Knife moving his attention from the book he was reading, to MePad now.

"Oh, hey." Knife smiled, this feeling a lot more polite compared to the visit MePhone gave a few days ago.

"Apologies for not visiting sooner, I'm very glad to see you seem to be recovering well" MePad moved over to the side of the bed, and plopped down on the floor.

"So what brings you here then?"

"I would like to say I'm just here to visit, but... I've actually come to ask if you've seen MePhone." MePad conveyed a worried expression.

"Oh, well it actually visited a few days ago, I haven't really heard from it since."

"Did... it say anything about where it was headed?"

"No, but it did say something about you just teleporting back after you were done doing something, can you not do that?" Knife raised an eyebrow, now completely closing the book in his lap.

"I've... Tried."

"Huh..." Knife furrowed his brows, clearly trying to think.

"I don't see why it would just ghost you with how close you two seemed... I can try to help look for it once I'm out of here if you haven't found it by then." Knife gave a sympathetic look.

"Much appreciated..." MePad sighed.

"Did something happen between you two?-- er, not to be intrusive." Knife rubbed the side of his handle awkwardly.

"Something happened after Cobs. I don't know if you saw it, and I'm sure it would be hard to believe, but it was aliens. It didn't want to risk itself anymore to help, but I went anyway, without it. I... Haven't been able to find it... since that night. I'm worried something's happened to it."

"Aliens, huh?"

"Correct." MePad's gaze wandered, just observing the hospital room. "I... understand it scared of getting hurt again, but... I don't know why it would cut me out completely after that. At the very least I just want to know it's okay."

"That's... Completely understandable. I'll give you a text when I'm out and able to help, okay?" Knife moved his hand back down to the covers, just letting it rest at his side.

"Thank you, Knife." MePad stood. "I need to keep searching."

"See ya around then." Knife smiled.

--

Another unsuccessful search. It was evening now, and MePad was still walking the streets, looking. They sighed, watching the sun sink below the buildings, and decided they were done searching for the night. About to teleport away, their attention was caught by a faint noise. Footsteps..? Which wouldn't be out of place, surely, since they were in the middle of a busy sidewalk, but there was nobody around at the moment... Or in the directions the footsteps were actually heard from. MePad turned to face a very dark Alleyway that they could only barely see down, spotting the outline of a tall, thin object that stepped forward, out of the shadows to reveal itself.