16) The Truth

Mobius walked down the hall after Wanda was taken away and Loki was secure in the time loop prison.

He arrived in Ravonna's office like she'd requested.

Something felt off though. Earlier, when he'd been walking to Wanda's cell room, he'd stopped by to see B-15 and she seemed a bit shaken up.

"Did the Loki variant say anything to you?"

"Yeah. He said this place is lying to us."

"Oh."

"Why?"

"Just.. Doing my job."

Then the whole rant that Loki and Wanda made up happened after that. It was just off-putting.

"Mobius?"

Ravonna snapped him out of his thoughts. She had a clipboard with a sheet she needed him to sign in order to seal the magical variant's disclosure.

"Oh, yeah." Mobius said.

He grabbed a pen and sighed.

"You okay?" Ravonna asked.

"Yep, I'm good."

Ravonna took back the pen and picked up the clipboard with a nod.

"Case closed."

"Yes."

She set it down dramatically behind her and looked at Mobius.

The two sat at opposite ends of the couch, looking at one another. Mobius had picked up a glass of alcohol and Ravonna picked up her own glass.

"Cheers." She smiled.

"Cheers."

"To putting all this behind us."

The glasses clinked against one another and Ravonna took a long sip while Mobius's glass just went back to his lap.

"Amen." Mobius muttered with a nod.

Ravonna looked forward at a wall of souvenirs from past cases.

"If you could go anywhere, anytime, where would it be?" She asked Mobius.

"Well I can go anywhere, anytime." Mobius replied.

"You know what I mean."

Mobius gave a smile, then it faltered.

"Why wouldn't you let me interrogate Sylvie?" He asked.

"Sylvie?"

"The variant. That's what Wanda and Loki call her. Why wouldn't you let me, you know, question her?"

"I told you, we couldn't risk her escaping again."

"She wouldn't have escaped."

"The other variants got away during you first interrogation, didn't they?"

Mobius turned away from her and back to his glass.

"Ouch." He chuckled.

"Come on. Anywhere and anytime on the timeline. Where'd you go?" Ravonna repeated.

"I like being here now, with you, doing the work."

"Fine." Ravonna scoffed, taking another sip from her glass.

She set the glass down on the table and leaned back on the couch.

"I received word from the Time-Keepers. They want to personally oversee the Variant's pruning. Annd, they want you there too."