Chapter 5

The next morning the children were quiet at breakfast. It wasn't unusual but Georg sensed a sort of awkwardness hovering it. He was taking a sip of his coffee when Louisa broke the silence.

"Father, is Maria just here for a visit?" Liesl gave her little sister a scowl across the table

"Mind your own business." Friedrich mumbled. He and Liesl had worked too hard to have Louisa ruin a chance of father going back to normal over her stubbornness.

"Well Louisa, she and her children have just moved back from England-"

"Where in England?" Brigitta interrupted

Georg sighed "London. Anyway, she was offered a teaching position at your school and has accepted." Georg looked to Marta and Brigitta

"Is she going to be our teacher?" Gretl asked

"I don't know who she'll teach Gretl." Georg tried to lift a forkful of eggs to his mouth but before he could be bombarded with more questions.

"Are Jane and Michael going to school with us?" asked Marta

"Where are they going to live?" Gritted Louisa.

Georg let his fork clink loudly on his plate "Kurt do you have any questions before I get to explain anything?" Kurt looked up from his plate, his mouth full and he shook his head slowly.

"Sorry father, we'll listen." Liesl apologized

"As you all know Maria and I have been good friends for years. Her husband passed away a few years ago and she remained in England for her children, however, it seems London life is not suitable so she's moving back here. I don't know what she'll teach or where she'll live but I anticipate that she will be a regular visitor."

"Why don't you let her live in the guest house?" Brigitta asked

"Why doesn't she just move in?" Louisa grumbled

"Louisa!" Liesl retorted

"What?" She asked as if she hadn't said a thing.

"Girls," Georg warned and both girls fell silent. "That's a good idea Brigitta, for the time being anyway, I'll ask her about it this afternoon." Georg finally got to take a bite.

"Is she coming over?" Kurt asked

"I believe Jane, and your little sisters have a tea party scheduled." Georg shot a soft smile at Marta to his left.

Liesl smiled to herself, a month ago her father wouldn't have allowed such frivolity.

"Don't get too excited, finish your breakfast." Georg instructed Gretl who was beaming, and the two little girls scarfed down their toast.

-----------------------------------------------------------

That afternoon Maria stopped by with both Jane and Michael.

Frau Schmidt, a kind woman, who was the housekeeper, answered the door.

"You must be Maria!" Frau Schmidt exclaimed as she saw the young woman standing in the sun.

"Yes, my daughter has been invited to spend the afternoon." Maria looked down at Jane who gave a toothy grin. Jane had insisted on wearing her favorite blue dress with frills on the bottom.

"Oh, well I see, that's all I've heard about all morning," Frau Schmidt stepped aside to let them all in.

Maria looked up as Jane's grip became a little tighter, poor dear was nervous. She saw Kurt standing on the balcony and he waved before turning around and running to a door.