Chapter 19

Frau Schmidt and Maria were gathered in the nursery with all the children. After much negotiation Elsa had permitted the younger children to attend the party, if they remained on the terrace and went to bed on time, not for their sleep, but so she wouldn't have to deal with them.

Getting permission to have Jane and Michael be a part of this was another thing entirely. Maria had approached Georg about it in his study and of course Max and Elsa were already present. Max saw it as a wonderful idea and opportunity, Elsa however did not.

"Elsa, they're good children, you know they'll behave. Jane has more class in her pinky finger than some of the ladies who are planning to attend." Georg quipped which nearly made Max spit his brandy out while Maria stifled a smirk.

"But darling, they are not your children, therefore it would be inappropriate." Elsa stood from the sofa and walked over to where Georg stood by the window.

Maria rolled her eyes at Max who continued to say nothing, but obviously shared Maria's opinion.

"I think it would be perfectly appropriate." The voice of Hedwig cut through the quarrel and all four heads snapped to face her at the door.

"Madam-" Elsa began.

"Mother, this is not your party-"

"It's my home, which I so graciously gave to you if I recall." Hedwig leaned against the door and crossed her arms. She then looked towards Maria "You know we consider Jane and Michael our own grandchildren, they should be allowed to attend if Marta and Gretl are."

"It's all settled then." Georg nodded and gave Maria an affirming wink to which she blushed profusely, but no one in that moment noticed other than Max.

"Thank you, Hedwig." Maria nodded

"Of course," Hedwig smiled then turned her focus to Elsa, "Perhaps you could learn a thing or two from Jane."

Then Max spit his brandy out.

Now all the children were gathered in the nursery. Frau Schmidt and Maria hurriedly tying ribbons and bows. Friedrich was helping Kurt and Michael with their ties.

"Can we dance while the guests are dancing?" Brigitta asked.

"You may be on the terrace," Maria answered as she placed a headband in the girl's hair.

"Oh Maria, will you finish here? I have to go check the band." Frau Schmidt asked

"Of course, go on." Maria gave a smile as she brushed her fingers through Gretl's hair one last time.

"We've never had a party in our house before." Marta spun in her dress.

"I've never been to a party at all." Jane twirled in hers.

"There used to be lots of parties, your grandparents were quite the hosts," Maria laughed.

"And mother was too." Friedrich straightened out his shirt for the final time.

"Really?" Maria was surprised. They had hosted only two or three times in the time she spent here after their marriage.

"Yes, one time father brought in a band all the way from Budapest," Liesl sighed.

Louisa straightened the lace on her sleeve "Yes they wore red coats."

"Like beef eaters!" Michael explained.

"Not exactly." Maria ruffled her son's hair.

"Can we go now?" Kurt asked impatiently.

"Yes, now come along children." Maria guided the youngest four children out of the room leaving Brigitta, Louisa, Liesl and the older two boys to themselves.