Chapter 27

Within the next few days Jane was officially on the mend, which was wonderful considering it was Christmas Eve. Georg had insisted that Rainer's just stay through Christmas, even if Jane was clear to go home, she was still pretty weak.

The children were all dressed in their Christmas best, ready for dinner. Max had arrived back that afternoon and Frau Schmidt had assured that dinner was all set, and she would leave right after it was served. She had shared her surprise with Maria and had received the warmest of hugs in return. She was so thankful for the help and felt horrible that she had no gifts for anyone.

"You give love everyday Maria, you gave love to this house again, that's enough." Frau Schmidt had assured, and it was all settled.

Max was in the middle of some probably made-up tale from his spontaneous hiatus in Vienna and the children sat all around him intent. Maria came to listen at the door and eventually moved to a chair. She took in the surroundings; the little girls and Michael and Kurt were sitting on the floor. Liesl and Brigitta shared the settee, Max had the other chair and Friedrich, and Louisa were occupied lighting the candles on the tree. The angel still sat on top of the clock, taking in a bird's eye view of things, and the room glowed and was warm.

"So next as Sascha and I were scrambling out of the museum- '' Max swiped his mustache.

"Surprise!" Georg spoke somewhat unceremoniously; the children were waiting for a reason but turned around and gasped anyway. He carried Jane, his left hand supporting her back, his right holding her legs, and she was dressed in a simple dress, but she was thankful it wasn't a nightgown.

"Jane!" The little girls ran over as Georg could hardly contain the squirmy girl. Maria stood up and Georg carried her daughter over to the chair where she leaned back with a smile. Maria brushed a wrinkle in the little frock away and Jane was immediately surrounded by the others. Georg and Maria could hardly hear themselves think.

Maria's smile was radiant as she traded Friedrich for his lighting stick and took over candle duty. Georg ambled over to Max.

"Now Georg, you can't tell me that this isn't the best Christmas in quite some time."

"It is indeed Max, it feels average, which I never thought would be good, but I've come to enjoy the sense of normalcy."

"Ahh," Max said as she picked up his glass from the side table and took a sip. "Not to mention the fact you got to spend some one-on-one time with the angel herself." Max winked.

"We actually never concluded that conversation." Georg scratched the back of his neck

"Let me guess you never began it either?" Max rolled his eyes.

Georg let out an exasperated sigh. "When was the best time then? What would you suggest? Hmm? Yes Maria, your daughter is deathly ill, and we just had a fight over you moving across the continent but before we continue let me profess my love via Shakespearean monologue."

Max smiled "Precisely."

Georg rolled his eyes but caught a glimpse of Maria coming back around the tree, her work was almost done, and the children were pointing to ornaments.

"Georg."

"Hmm?" he shot back to attention

"I've said your name thrice now. Regardless of the situation you had better get a move on. She still plans to return to England at the beginning of the year."

"Max don't be ridiculous-"

Max suddenly turned serious for once. "No Georg, she told me while the children were getting ready, once Jane is cleared to travel, they'll return to London, she says there's always open positions at schools."