Chapter 18

Party planning was in full swing. Elsa's leadership skills were no joke, and she often was bossing a florist around or sampling foods, much to the chagrin of Frau Schmidt. Franz on the other hand had chosen the week to be his vacation conveniently. Georg had never really cared for Franz, but he had to admit he would've done the same thing. Maria came over often, mostly to help get the children out of the way, Liesl would stay on occasion, but more often than not she chose to leave with Maria and the others.

Three days before the party Hedwig and Fritz were set to arrive. Maria, Jane and Michael made their way to the villa after breakfast as usual. Elsa was already gone to get her dress altered with Max, and Georg and the children were running amok. They hadn't seen their grandparents in a few years, and the little ones were particularly excited. They waited by the door anxiously only to sigh in disappointment when Maria and her children were standing outside.

"Well good morning to you too." Maria rolled her eyes as she held the door for her children.

"We were hoping you were Oma and Opa." Brigitta crossed her arms.

"We've been waiting all morning." Gretl crossed her arms impatiently.

"I want to see if I'm finally taller than Oma." Friedrich stood proudly only to receive a swat from Liesl.

Maria couldn't keep up with the excitement of it all, but she did notice her children were a bit more quiet than usual. Typically, they would be just as boisterous as the von Trapp children, but they were not, Jane firmly grasped her mother's hand and Michael seemed lost in that magical little head of his.

"Ah Maria it's just you." Georg appeared from the direction of his study.

"Is anyone excited to see me?" Maria huffed sarcastically and walked down the stairs only to hear a quiet "I am." as Louisa joined her side by Michael.

"When are Hedwig and Fritz set to arrive?" Maria asked.

"They said it was late morning, I checked yesterday and the train from Vienna was set to arrive around 10." Georg clasped his hands together and shrugged.

"Well, they're late." Brigitta sighed

"Be patient, they'll get here." Marta reached up to pat her big sister on the back which gave the others quite the laugh. Jane and Michael still remained close, and Louisa did as well, even though she was relaxed. They were laughing so hard that no one even heard The von Trapp grandparents walk in.

"Now Georg, we told you to keep the paint color the same." A matronly voice cut through them all. Maria turned around to see Hedwig and Fritz standing on the landing, a suitcase each, only to be swarmed by children.

Hedwig began "Friedrich you're so tall."

Then Fritz added "Liesl you are becoming quite the young lady."

"Kurt your smile!"

"Marta, your hair is so long now!"

"Brigitta, how do you not have glasses yet from all your reading?"

"Gretl you're such a big girl."

"Louisa, you look so much like your mother."

Georg eventually got his turn and received a long hug from his mother, who was wearing a maroon business blazer and skirt and Fritz, in a suit similar to his son's, shook his hand firmly.

Maria's eyes welled with tears at the sight. She hadn't seen them for 10 long years, only a letter here or there, and most recently a phone call or two. But this couple was responsible for raising her through some of her most difficult times. After all it was them, she literally ran to after her parents passed away.