Chapter 21

"Maria how on earth have you managed to put up with my brother for so long?" Hede was in town for a visit.

She had arrived early that morning, mere days after her talk with Max. Hede had wanted to come anyway, she had received letters from her nieces and nephews expressing how much they missed her, how their father had changed, and the comfort they found in Maria. Not to mention Hede wanted to see her friend and was anxious to meet her children. She had never laid eyes on them but found them to be incredibly charming and was even more pleased to see that Georg was just as smitten with them.

Hede had barreled through the doors right after the children had left for school and spent some time catching up with Max and her brother and trying her best to tread lightly. The von Trapp children had told Maria she had to swing by after school to visit Hede, even though Maria was fully intending to anyway. She arrived with the children and while Hede was happy to see her nieces and nephews she was even more thrilled to see her friend. Seeing children was nice, but she had left her new baby boy at home with her husband for a much-needed baby break, but she pushed her way through the children until she and Maria embraced in a tight hug. Maria had been the sister she never had and seeing her in person was wonderful.

The adults moved to the drawing room, while the children dispersed. The youngest four played go fish in the corner, but the others had gone to begin homework. Hede and Maria shared the settee while Max and Georg sat in matching armchairs.

"He's not that boring, he taught Michael how to swim over the summer so now bath time is certainly never boring thanks to him." Maria rolled her eyes at the memory and put on a smile.

"Lukas is just as bad, even though he's a baby he thinks he could swim to the bottom of the ocean, even if the tub is only two feet deep." Hede laughed.

"I'm so happy everything went smoothly, both for you and Lukas." Maria reached out a hand and took Hede's.

"Thank you, Maria, you've always been so kind, and your letters made hard days easier."

Maria chuckled, "I've done it twice before, I may be clueless most of the time, but I know it does get better."

Hede smiled and turned her attention to the men. Max leaned over helping Gretl strategize her next move, while Georg simply seemed in a daze.

"How has school been? For everyone?" Hede thought this conversation might better involve Georg.

"It's been an adjustment for my two." Maria sighed "But Georg's children have been especially helpful." Maria turned to look at him. They held eye contact for a second before jerking their heads away. Georg motioned to Gretl, Marta, Jane and Michael on the floor. "As you can see, they're thick as thieves."

Just then Michael stood up with a yelp.

"What's wrong my boy?" Hede asked and Maria turned to look at him.

"I got a paper cut from the card." Michael began to walk towards Georg "Look!" He held his finger in front of Georg's face. He could hardly contain his laughter.

"Son, I'm sure it's just a tiny one-" Maria began.

"It's Gretl's fault!" Michael pointed at the girl sitting on the floor. Gretl being Gretl stood up herself, hands on her hips.

"It is not!" Jane and Marta sat; mouths closed. This was fairly normal to them at this point.

"Children," Maria spoke firmly, and their heads snapped in her direction as she stood from Hede.

"Firstly, you will both apologize to Heed for such an outburst and then Michael we will go find you a bandage."

Both children walked over begrudgingly to Hede and mumbled a sorry. Hede accepted with a smile.

"Now Michael, why don't you go to the kitchen? I'll be right behind you." Maria pushed him off into the hall.

Gretl returned to her spot on the floor with less enthusiasm and Maria stifled a laugh. "Those two will argue till their lips fall off." She tried not to laugh.

"Obviously," Max leaned back for a moment before rising. He shared a look with Hede before exiting the room.

"Tell me Georg, does Maria always wear the pants in the relationship when it comes to disciplining your children."

Maria scoffed and followed Max out, presumably to the kitchen.

"Thanks a lot, Hede. Glad to see you haven't changed since you were thirteen."

Hede stretched her legs on the settee "Georg, she is my best friend, I can tell when she takes charge for real."

"I discipline the children as well, thank you." Was all Georg said in reply.

"Georg," Hede began carefully, "The children have sent me letters." She suddenly became serious.

"Girls, why don't you go upstairs and play with your dolls." Georg gently patted Marta on the back and the three girls stood.

"But I was about to win," Jane complained.

"You can all play again after dinner. How does that sound?" He reassured her with a smile and the three girls skipped out of the room.

"What have my children been telling you now? That I treat them like officers still? Because that is certainly not the case, I've changed. How about their school complaints? I also have an inkling Liesl may be interested in a boy-"

"They've been about Maria," Hede interrupted. She got up and moved to sit in the chair Max had previously occupied, "Georg, they love her, they respect her as much as they did Agathe. Kurt told me how she makes time for them, Louisa says she helped her grieve properly, Brigitta says that she loves her and Liesl tells me that you might too.."

Georg sat up straight abruptly,

"Georg, I know you so well, but even just being here I can tell you it's just like the old days, Max sees it too, your own children see it-don't even get me started. You are just as in love with her children as she is with yours. You both treat them all like they hung the stars and the moon-"

"What do you mean the old days?" Georg denied.

"Don't be stupid, you loved her. Agathe knew it, you knew it, even Maria eventually found out, but by then it was too late, and it was a shame because mother and I could see she loved you too."

Georg sighed "I can't live in the past. We are different people, we've led different lives, not to mention the children-"

"So, you've thought about it?" Hede raised an eyebrow. Georg's eyes narrowed. His sister had always possessed this power. To get just what she wanted out of him

He sat silent for a moment. "Yes, yes, I have and what's wrong with that? It's only natural-"

"You've fallen for her again, haven't you? In these past months, even through the hard times, just like when you were younger, you chose to love her anyway." Hede shook her head in awe.

"I do not know how she feels, nor do I intend to ask her. I can't believe you and Mother knew." he shook his head and let it fall into his hands.

"It was apparent to everyone, even from the beginning." Hede admitted. "We just thought you were biding time, giving her space, and then Aggie came along.."

Georg looked up hurt, but Hede jumped in again "And Agathe was wonderful, she was what you needed in that season, she was your love at first sight and because of her you have seven wonderful children, but you cannot deny that you ran to Agathe because you convinced yourself you had no chance with Maria."

Georg took a deep breath "Agathe was my life, she was everything, but Maria...Maria was a friend like no other."

"Tell her then." Hede shoved him and he smiled a bit.

"We tell each other all the time." Georg shrugged

"No," Hede looked at him. "Tell her the truth, tell her you love her." 

Hey Y'all. Hede will be here for a while. The truth is out tho! Let me know how you guys are liking this story.

Thanks for reading!