Chapter 13

Georg and Maria had resolved to try and not bicker every time they were in each other's presence. As friends, and now that their children were friends it would be terribly unproductive. One would start to put up a fight then the other would immediately give a look of warning. Any issue would be discussed later, away from the children if it was necessary.

Max and Elsa were at first a little rattled by Maria's presence. Max didn't mind in the slightest. He thought of Maria as a good friend and admired her loyalty. He also thought her children were cheeky but kind little cherubs, spoiling them as much as the von Trapps.

Elsa seemed a little more uncomfortable. Most afternoons Maria and her children were at the villa rather than their own house, which she found totally bizarre. Georg had explained the situation and she trusted him completely. She just didn't trust Maria.

As an afternoon turned into an evening the group was enjoying the sunset on the veranda. Max, Georg and Elsa had drinks in hand, while Maria joined in the conversation from where she sat on the patio rail. The children, minus Liesl and Louisa who were taking a walk, were playing tag and Georg had taken the liberty of purchasing them some clothes to play in. Maria had threatened to make clothes out of the curtains if he didn't.

All was well, Elsa was sitting close to Georg, his hand in hers, as it should be.

"I see we have a stray." Max remarked as Michael ran up the stairs and barreled into his mother.

"Michael, you've already had three baths this week, you attract dirt like a magnet." Maria quipped.

"Do not." he brushed a clot of dust from his knee.

Maria shook her head as Max smiled to himself.

"What are we going to do tomorrow mother?" Michael shrugged.

"Well," Maria bit her lip. "I haven't gotten to show you one of my favorite places yet. We could make a day of it?"

Michael grinned like a Cheshire cat "Can Kurt and Gretl come too?" Michael pleaded. Maria adjusted to look at Georg, Elsa subconsciously gripped his hand tighter.

Maria noticed this, and as much as she wanted to roll her eyes, she maintained herself. "I could take the children, I'm sure you and Elsa would like some children free time." Maria smirked

Georg gave her a snarky look "What would we do with Max?"

Max clinked his glass down "I beg your pardon; I am delightful company." Maria stifled a laugh at this.

"Where do you want to take them?" Georg asked earnestly.

"My mountain," Maria gushed. She took no one on her mountain. Hede and Georg had only gone once, a year after Maria's parents died, other than that, it was Maria's alone.

"Sounds serious." Georg teased

Now Maria did roll her eyes "I want to show Jane and Michael where I spent a chunk of my childhood, and as I said it would give you peace and quiet to-"

Georg cleared his throat quickly.

"It sounds like a lovely idea." Elsa supplied; Maria couldn't believe it. She sounded earnest. "It would give us time to ourselves, and the children would love it, I'm sure."

Georg looked from Elsa to Maria "Well, should you tell them, or should I?"

The next day Maria woke up bright and early. She woke up her children, who put up a protest until she reminded them of the day's activities, and quickly dressed herself. As the morning progressed, she did feel a pit in her stomach begin to grow. A mix of anticipation, excitement and nerves. Who knew what kind of memories being up on the mountain would evoke? She was braiding Jane's hair while Michael finished his breakfast when Jane asked: