Chapter 20

Liesl hadn't gone back to see her siblings in the nursery that night. It all happened so quickly. She heard the argument, came into the hallway, prayed the little girls wouldn't wake up, saw her grandmother walk in the room and did the only thing she could think to do.

She went to find her father.

Thankfully he was in the foyer, so she leaned over the rails and was able to summon him quickly. He could read his daughter's face well enough to know it wasn't good.

After Elsa stormed past everyone it took all of Liesl's self-control not to cry. What would happen now?

Hedwig tried to send the girl to bed, but she refused it, and for once Georg agreed she was old enough to stay. Maria however was not as composed. She took a deep breath and sat firmly on the bed, placing her face in her hands while Georg sat next to her.

"Maria, you don't have to hide anymore." Liesl wondered what her grandmother meant by this, especially since it was the only thing she said for the rest of the night. She stayed in supportive silence but eventually went in search of Fritz. Liesl still stood by the doorframe.

"Father?" Liesl didn't know what to say but she wanted to help.

"I think it's high time we all go to bed. I will take care of the others" Georg rose from the bed; Maria still didn't look up. Liesl was led out of the room by her father and the pair split.

She sat straight up in her bed the next morning, last night was so good, but so bad, but so confusing. She was silent all through breakfast while Georg explained to the children what the situation was. Maria had chosen to take breakfast in her room and Frau Schmidt and Hedwig took care of Jane and Michael. Soon it was time for Hedwig and Fritz to leave, they came down from saying goodbye to Maria and Liesl hugged them and wished them safe travels.

Not long after Maria packed up her children and they left as well, Georg slowly retreated to his office and once Max came back, he and Georg stayed hulled up for hours.

Liesl went upstairs to find her siblings in the nursery. Marta and Gretl sat in the corner playing with dolls.

"Girls, can you go play with those in your room?" Liesl asked out of the blue, which made the other snap to attention really quick.

"Why?" Marta asked

"We just need to talk." Liesl said.

"Is it bad?" Marta soon seemed upset

"They don't want us to be here Marta." Gretl rolled her eyes and the two girls reluctantly got up and left.

Friedrich was the first to speak after Liesl shut the door behind her sisters. "What's wrong, we should be celebrating?"

"The baroness is gone!" Louisa was grinning from ear to ear.

Liesl wrung her hands, she didn't know how to word things "I know, which is great, but it's just under the circumstances she left-"

"You mean the fight?" Brigitta slapped her book shut from the window seat.

Liesl was dumbfounded "The walls are thin." Brigitta stated.

"But we couldn't hear it all, but we got the point. But we already knew the baroness was jealous of Maria." Kurt shrugged

"But you didn't see Maria's face or father's. I think something must have happened in the past between them." Liesl crossed her arms and sat at the table.

"Or it didn't." Brigitta added.

"What do you mean?" Kurt asked.

"Perhaps a similar situation happened in the past, romantically. Perhaps father and Maria never confessed feelings. It would be terrible cliche but romantic."