Chapter 7

The group worked tirelessly throughout the day, re-arranging, unpacking, and cleaning. The sun was beginning to set though, and Maria looked at the lamp in her room with dismay. Jane had to have a nightlight, and candles that she could afford burned out too quickly for her daughter. Not only did she have an oil lamp on hand, sure she could just run into town and buy one, but she also needed to buy food.

Liesl came out of the bathroom where she had been folding linens and towels to find Maria looking at the lamp.

"Fraulein Maria what is it?" Liesl set a blanket on the edge of the bed.

"We forgot to have the electricity and water set up today. I knew I was missing something." Maria chastised herself

"You could spend the night with us if you want. You know we have the room; I'm sure father won't mind." Liesl smiled

"Liesl, I've already asked too much of your father, we can make it a day without electricity and the children can go a day longer without a bath." Maria appreciated the girl's kindness, truly, but didn't want to seem as if she was taking advantage.

Liesl crossed her arms "I think you might be more stubborn than father."

"Not likely." Maria straightened the covers on her bed.

"Thank you by the way, it's only been a day, but I haven't seen him this happy in a long time, I think he missed you." Liesl spoke with a gentler tone

"I did too." Maria admitted quietly "Imagine only talking to your best friend only every once in a while, and not seeing them for years after spending everyday with them."

"That would be difficult indeed." Liesl began to think of her friend Kari, or her crush Rolfe, not seeing them for a long time would indeed be difficult.

Kurt came barreling in with Friedrich behind him "Maria, father asked if you want to stay for dinner tonight."

"I guess I should talk to him." Maria exited the room to head downstairs

Liesl looked at her brothers "Liar." Liesl smirked

"I like her." Kurt crossed his arms. "I do too, but I still think we should take things slow," Friedrich added. Liesl thought her brother was wise.

Louisa sauntered in, still looking a little lost in her head.

"You alright?" Friedrich patted her on the back. Liesl and Louisa were close, but Friedrich and Louisa were attached at the hip, if she told anyone anything it was usually him.

"Just tired, did I hear she's staying for dinner?" His face held no emotion.

"Most likely." Kurt answered

"Oh..." Louisa's face fell.

"She's not our mother Louisa," Friedrich assured. Liesl knew better than that, her father had been making occasional trips to Vienna recently and she had an inkling she knew who it was he was seeing.

"She's going through a lot too, it's important to remember that." Liesl admonished "I wouldn't worry about that anyway Lou."

Louisa just rolled her eyes and crossed her arms

"C'mon, let's go home." Friedrich put his arm around his sister and led them all downstairs.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone was back at the villa and dinner was served. The children went up to the nursery to play quietly and it just so happened that Hede called to check on her brother and was full of surprise when Maria picked up the phone instead. They chatted casually until Maria told her Georg left the room.