Chapter 24

Maria could hardly contain herself. After Louisa's interruption she and Georg had run outside as fast as their legs could carry them. They raced to the veranda and down the steps, ignoring the bitter breeze and knelt beside Friedrich who had apparently moved Jane and was cradling her. Kurt, Michael and Brigitta looked on with disbelief. Liesl, Marta, Gretl and Frau Schmidt watched from the door. Maria couldn't hear anything in that moment, not even Louisa's sobs as she watched her father carry the little girl in the house.

Now they waited. Maria paced the hallway while Georg sat on an armchair bouncing his right leg while Michael perched on his left. Friedrich had ushered the other children into the nursery while Liesl looked after Louisa and calmed her down from her panic attack. Georg had tried to send Michael off with the others but when he saw the fear in the little boy's eyes, he offered for him to stay, this was his sister after all. Now Frau Schmidt was making arrangements with Hede. If Jane was contagious, it was best for Hede to go back to her baby before she caught anything. It had been a rushed goodbye as the doctor came in and Maria shed a tear as her dear friend pulled out of the tightest hug she'd felt in her life.

Maria had never felt so scared. Her baby, her little girl, her darling sweet little Jane had looked so pale outside in Friedrich's arms, now she thankfully rested on the comfy bed of a guest room.

"Why is he taking so long?" Maria whispered to herself as she once again crossed in front of the door. Michael looked up to Georg with worry and Georg laid the boy's head to rest on his chest.

"She was just fine a few minutes ago." Michael added softly. Maria looked toward her son, so scared at that moment. Georg's eyes had worry in them as well, but a hint of something else, she couldn't figure out what though.

"I'm sure it will all be fine." Georg reassured the boy. Maria knelt in front of them and took Micahel's hands in hers. "It will be."' she mustered a smile for him.

The door creaked open, and Doctor Holbein came out and ran a hand through his salt and pepper hair. He immediately looked at Michael and Maria was able to get the picture.

"Michael, please go to the nursery with the others, and if you happen to see Louisa tell her I want to speak with her later." Maria pleaded before Georg lifted the boy from his lap and he sauntered off, rounding the corner. Maria got back to her feet and Georg rose from his chair.

"Well?" Maria bit the inside of her cheek to keep from losing it.

Dr. Holbein took a deep breath and shut the door completely behind him. "It's scarlet fever, by the looks of it, it's been coming for days." He shook his head.

Georg felt the wind knock out of him, without thinking he grabbed Maria's hand, partially to support her, but also to keep him from falling over.

"Her cold..." Maria shook her head. Dr. Holbein nodded "It's easy to contract this time of year."

"Will...?" Was all Maria could muster

"It's hard to tell." Dr. Holbein clasped his hands "She's a strong girl otherwise, but she is very tiny, and this is not a mild case I'm afraid."

Maria didn't know what to do, did she cry, scream or kick? Somehow, she managed to dismiss Dr. Holbein and assured him Frau Schmidt would escort him out. She looked at her friend, Georg was just as stoic as she was, if not a bit green. This diagnosis meant none of the children could see Jane, and Maria was not going to let Franz near her child anyway, and Frau Schmidt was needed elsewhere. Max would have to be called and told to stay in Vienna, her plans for England were gone. She was overwhelmed. By the time she was out of her daze she realized she was on the floor, sitting against the wall, tears streaming down her face, Georg knelt before her, a bit more composed.

"Georg, what do I do?" Maria cried out. He pulled her to her feet and brought her into a hug. He simply held her, whispering affirmations, he even kissed her head as he felt her tears soak his shirt.

"She will get better, she's just like you, never one to back down from a challenge." Maria broke the hug.

"I..I don't think I can face the children right now, especially Michael." she shook her head and wiped her tears away as much as she could.

"I'll talk to them and explain what will happen." He sighed; he didn't have the heart to tell her they already knew what to do. "I will call Max too and speak with Frau Schmidt. For now, what you need to do is go in there and be with her." He opened the door behind her "We'll get through it."

Maria nodded and turned to face the door but kept her eyes on the floor. She took a few steps into the room, the guest room she had always occupied when spending nights here, and heard the door close, Georg must have done it.

She looked up towards the bed with the warm yellow blankets and saw her little girl laying under the covers. Her blonde bangs stuck to her sweaty forehead. Maria approached her and wished her eyes were open. She had her father's eyes while Michael had her own. She perched herself next to her daughter and leaned against the headboard, brushing the bangs out her daughter's pale little face, her labored breathing was at least constant. Jane mumbled but didn't open her eyes. She reached out and felt her mother sitting there.

"Mutti? Mutti!" she grumbled but still didn't open her eyes.

"I'm here schatzi, I'm here." Maria soothed, willing her voice not to crack. She couldn't help herself. She dragged Jane from under the covers, praying that God would have mercy on her and not let this moment make her sick as well, as she brought her legs up to fully sit on the bed. She brought her 8-year-old to her lap, Jane's sweaty little frame curled up like baby's Maria wrapped her arms around her. Maria could feel the pain in her daughter's body, like the infection had spread to her not in ailment but in anguish. She rocked her daughter, kissing her hair, her nose, her hands, savoring every moment and holding back her tears.

"I love you so much Jane," Maria whispered. Her daughter had been her rock for so many years, her strong little princess, never complaining, always poised, keeping her mother in check. She held Jane like this when she lost Charlie, now she held her the same way, begging God not to take her too. 

Hey Y'all. Sorry for the depressing chapter, but I couldn't just let Maria leave. 

Thanks for reading!