Chapter 14

The next morning the children were awake bright and early once again. At dinner last night they announced they had a surprise for the Baroness and Max. Georg raised his eyebrow at Maria across the table who gave him a reassuring look.

Max had managed to get a little more out of her, she had described what the children had intended, and Max said he could get all the equipment needed without Georg noticing. However, how Max would do that considering he was using Georg's money was beyond Maria.

So needless to say, Maria, Jane and Michael arrived at the Villa late in the morning to begin. Franz opened the door.

"Don't you have a house of your own?" He drawled

"That's never stopped me before, has it?" Maria retorted.

"Frau, I really think-" he began with a sigh

"I think you should let me in considering your employer is expecting me." Maria pushed him and he mumbled. Michael turned around and put his thumb to his nose and waved his other four fingers around when no one was looking.

"Maria!" Kurt exclaimed, he was coming out of the drawing room with Liesl and Louisa. The boy walked over and gave Maria a hug, the girls welcomed her as well, Louisa even smiled genuinely.

"Does father know about the surprise?" Liesl asked.

"Nope, we made sure of it." Jane gave a toothy grin. The previous evening Jane had confided in her mother just how much she looked up to Liesl. Sure, Marta and Gretl were her best friends, and Brigitta wasn't as bad as she thought, but to Jane, Liesl was the ideal.

"Well, everyone is in the ballroom already except for Brigitta." Kurt explained as he and Liesl began walking in the direction with Jane and Michael. Maria was a bit worried. Jane and Michael were putting the work in for the surprise, the children wouldn't have it any other way either. They adored the brother and sister duo. However, Maria worried that since this was a surprise for Georg, the woman he was courting and his best friend, that it might seem inappropriate if her own children joined.

She supposed that no matter what it would be okay, it was all just for fun, something for the children to focus on in both parties.

"She's probably in the library Maria." Louisa explained.

Maria snapped out her daze and turned to the blonde. "Thank you." She rested her hand on Louisa's shoulder and gave the girl a genuine smile.

She began to head down the hall towards the library when she heard steps running after her.

"Maria," Maria turned around to see Louisa standing there "Thank you for yesterday, it was really fun. I do want to do it again sometime...with you." Louisa awkwardly tucked her hands behind her back.

"Oh Louisa," Maria fully turned around but didn't approach the girl. "I would love to; you name the day, and we'll go."

"And..."

"Yes?" Maria took a step closer

"I'm sorry about how I've been behaving, it just takes time-"

"I know darling," Maria was now in front of her "It seems like forever, doesn't it?" Louisa gave a nod as tears began to well in her eyes. "May I hug you?" Maria knew the girl needed space, but if she was open to the comfort then Maria would be there to give it.

Louisa smiled through her tears and giggled as the pair enveloped in a tight hug. Maria felt so close to her, it was strange. She had never felt so attached to any child like this except her own, and she was beginning to feel that way towards the other children as well, but this moment made it real.