Chapter 29

Max had gone over to Maria's house later that evening and convinced her to stay until at least the end of the week. That would give everyone time to adjust and plan as needed. He in turn took her children back to the villa, in order to see their friends.

"I wouldn't give up again Maria, he might surprise you." Max had said as he was yanked out the door by Michael.

A couple of days later Maria brought the children over to stay for dinner, she wasn't planning on staying. She figured if she kept her distance then it would be easier to leave. She walked in the door and immediately Max came up to her along with Georg. The pair shared a bit of uncomfortable eye contact before Georg whisked Jane and Michael away.

"Where are-" Maria began.

Max held up a finger "ah ah ah, no Maria, sometimes blind faith is the only thing we have to rely on, now come along I say we ought to give Hede a ring shall we not?" Max led Maria into the sitting room.

Georg on the other hand led Jane and Michael upstairs in quite a hurry.

"What is going on?" Jane asked.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you quite yet."

"Are we having a surprise for dinner?" Michael asked, usually at this time if a surprise was mentioned.

"Of sorts." Georg shrugged his head before reaching down and picking up the little boy, squirting until he placed him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Jane skipped to keep up.

Georg set Michael down once they got to the nursery door and rushed the children inside. There they found all seven of the von Trapp children waiting patiently.

Georg led them to a chair at the table that Brigitta, Liesl, and Friedrich occupied. He knelt in front of them.

"Children, I mean just you two, I have something I want to talk to you about."

"Is it about our mother?" Jane asked, raising a brow. Georg was shocked. Until he heard Brigitta say "I told you so."

"Well, yes, but before we mention her, I want to talk about you."

Michael looked confused as he scrunched his brows. "What about us?"

"Well," Georg took a deep breath. "I was wondering how you would feel if your mother and I agreed to raise you together?"

"So, you would be like our father?" Michael adorably gestured with his hand which made all the children giggle.

"Exactly," Georg chuckled. "But if you aren't comfortable with it, I understand. Your father is a very special man, he would have to be to tame your mother. Not to mention you take after him, what I mean is I don't want you to feel like I'm replacing him."

"No one can replace our father." Jane shook her head. Her smile turned serious.

"Oh of course not." Liesl intervened.

"But" Georg shook his head. Why was he so nervous talking to two children? "Before I say anything to your mother I want to know if you would like me to be your F..." why couldn't he say it.

"Our father?" Michael all of the sudden began to beam. Jane did as well, but hers came with tears in her eyes.

"Yes." Georg said after a beat, the children watched in anticipation over what the reaction would be. Michael sat with his mouth hanging open but smiling as he reached for Georg and hugged him tight. Georg hugged him back and looked up to Jane who just continued to sit there, a small smile of contentment and tears threatening to fall. Michael stepped away to join the celebration the younger girls were having.