Chapter 9

The next week Georg announced he was going on a trip to Vienna for 10 days. He told the children not to worry, he was going to see Max, and visit a few friends he hadn't seen in a while. Liesl said she was perfectly capable of being in charge, especially with Frau Schmidt there, but he disagreed.

They were having dinner during the conversation, Liesl sulking in disappointment, Louisa sitting in disbelief.

"Maria could watch us," Brigitta said after dabbing her mouth with her napkin.

"Please." Marta and Gretl begged.

Georg listened to his children's plea for a few more seconds before Friedrich spoke above them all. "Father, who else would you leave us with? We trust her, we'd behave, I promise."

And it was a done deal. Maria and her children would stay the next week and a half at the villa, although Maria felt intrusive, Georg convinced her it made the most sense considering everything.

Georg was telling her all the rules as they carried her bags in "And keep an eye on Liesl, I don't want her meeting with any friends I don't know-"

"Georg," Maria gave him a look as he sat the rest of her bags down.

"I'm sorry, I've been gone a lot, but this is the longest I've been gone since..."

"I'll take good care of them," Maria assured. The family wished their father a cordial goodbye and Franz drove him to the train station.

That evening after dinner Maria was sitting up in the nursery with the children. She was playing a card game with Liesl, who kept looking out the window, along with Friedrich and Kurt. Louisa was pretending to read on a window seat with Brigitta, while the younger four were playing with all sorts of dolls, even Michael.

"What do you usually do if your father is gone?" Maria asked

"Nothing," Kurt rolled his eyes. "He leaves Franz in charge and he's worse than father."

"We just do what we normally do Maria." Friedrich answered truthfully.

"Don't you miss him?" Maria asked as she played a card

"He doesn't act like he misses us," Brigitta said without looking up.

"I'm sure that's not true. He loves you after all."

"We know Fraulein." Brigitta mumbled, if she had a penny every time, she heard that.

Liesl kept straining her neck out to look out the window when Maria finally spoke up "Liesl, are you looking for something?"

"Oh no" Liesl shook her head quickly. "I'm just trying to stay awake. I think I might just go to my room and read." Liesl put her cards on the table and left the room, gently, but in a hurry.

Once she was out of earshot Maria looked up at the boys in front of her. Friedrich looked down while Kurt did his best not to laugh.

"What was that all about?"

"Rolfe." Louisa was back in the real world

"Who's Rolfe?" Maria asked

Brigitta shut her book and sat up "The telegram delivery boy, Liesl's friend." 

"I would use the term friend lightly." Kurt mocked

Maria had a look of realization "Oh I see, and um, how long have she and Rolfe been friends?"

"Oh, over a year or so." Friedrich answered, turning a bit red

"Well, we'll have to think about that one." Maria smirked.