Chapter 16

The day of the surprise was upon them. Max was simply shaking with excitement, as he had been so discouraged with his hunt for the next star, when he noticed the puppet stage in the ballroom his heart began to soar.

Elsa was a little less enthusiastic. Maria had not taken her word of warning seriously she supposed, but perhaps the key to Georg's heart was his children, and unfortunately that included Jane and Michael as well now.

The children whispered to one another in excitement. Maria stood atop the stage and could see Georg, Max and Elsa in three chairs sitting below. She was oddly anxious, but the children on either side calmed her nerves. The oldest 5 von Trapp siblings and Jane were operating the puppets, while Gretl and Marta handled the sets and props from the ground level. Michael believed he had the most important job of all, but Maria reminded him they all knew the song and had to sing together to make it sound good.

"Gentlemen and...Lady," Michael stood in front of the stage gesturing broadly with his arms. "May I present to you, the merry marionettes singing the Lonely Goatherd!" He took a bow and rushed to his spot next to Gretl.

The show was a hit, the children yodeled their hearts out, and the audience of three applauded with glee.

The three littlest ones came around the corner and took bows and curtsies while the others helped one another off the top of the stage.

"Can we really keep the puppet show Uncle Max?" Brigitta ran up to the man with the others not far behind.

"I'm not the person to ask." Max held his hands up in defense. They looked to Maria who gave Georg a pleading look. When she saw him wink, she answered "Of course you may children."

"Come children you must tell me all about how you put this together." Max began walking to the sitting room.

"I helped put the top on," Lousia began excitedly, which made Liesl shoot a grateful smile back to Maria. Louisa had come out of her shell the past few weeks, and all the children were thankful, that didn't mean she didn't have hard days, they all did. But at least Louisa felt comfortable enough to acknowledge that rather than take it out on her siblings.

"My dear, is there anything you can't do?" Elsa asked as she rose from her seat and Maria stood up from leaning against the stage.

"I don't suppose I would make a good nun, all pent up." Maria chuckled.

"Well, if you decide to pursue that and have problems, I'd be happy to help you." Elsa's words held a nasty venom.

"I think it was wonderful Maria." Georg interrupted, sensing the tension. "And Michael was a wonderful master of ceremonies."

"He's bold, just like his father." Maria chuckled

"Just like his mother." Georg corrected and she nodded to the compliment. Just then a shriek of laughter filled the air in the sitting room and the three made their way into the sitting room. Max and Elsa sat on the settee, where two flutes of champagne were magically placed. Liesl sat in a set of armchairs next to her father.

"Alright children, who should we hear from next?" Maria entered the room last and Louisa, Brigitta, Friedrich and Marta ran to her.

"Father," Friedrich suggested. Louisa looked to her brother a little unsure

'Really?" Maria hadn't known Georg to sing since they were school children.

"Yes." Brigitta added

"Please." Marta clasped her hands.

"Go ask the others." Maria shooed them off, Friedrich darted to Liesl while Brigitta whispered into Jane and Gretl's ears.

"They agree." Brigitta returned with a grin.