Chapter 26

The next three days were difficult for Maria. She had agreed after her little dinner with Michael and small nap that she, Georg and Frau Schmidt would take turns taking care of Jane. Maria wasn't thrilled but she knew it was best, but it was difficult not to be there. She tried to distract herself with the other children. Georg had ordered a tree cut down that morning so that it would distract Maria and the children for a few hours. Maria didn't necessarily feel like helping decorate, but she was content to sit on the settee and watch.

Slowly but surely the tree was filled with baubles and bulbs, little angels, candles, stars, anything glistened, and the wreath was beginning to look the same. Friedrich was working on the rigging for hanging the wreath along with Brigitta and Michael finally let go of his mother to help him.

Maria watched and she knew everything would be just fine. Georg was with Jane now, but she hadn't heard anything. Louisa looked over, still sheepish, but genuine.

"Michael," She called to him "You should go check on Jane and come back and tell your mother how she's doing." Louisa finished hanging a red and gold bulb as Michael flitted from the room in a hurry. Maria looked over to the young girl and Louisa made her way around the wrappings and the boxes to the settee. Maria knew this was probably hard on her in a different way than the other children. Louisa sat down and leaned into Maria who placed an arm around the girl.

"Thank you for getting me the other night. That was wise to come get us." Maria whispered. Louisa merely looked at Maria and shrugged in return and she knew enough was said. The pair sat and watched as Marta and Gretl fought over who would put the angel on top of the tree.

"I didn't get to do it, the others did." Marta reached for it. Kurt held the angel in the air out of reach.

"But I'm the youngest now, and Liesl told me it was tradition that the youngest gets to do it." Gretl jumped trying to reach the angel in her brother's hand.

Friedrich walked by and snatched it from Kurt, "Why don't you two be patient and wait till we can all do it together." He rolled his eyes and placed it on top of the grandfather clock where no one could reach it.

Maria could've sworn Louisa was almost asleep in her arms until she sat up "I hear him." and sure enough Michael came back to the room in a hurry. He barreled into his mother. "She's awake, I mean really awake and talking, she wants to see you!"

Maria smiled so wide she couldn't stand it, perhaps if Jane was awake for more than a brief moment, she was getting stronger, getting better. Louisa was happy too, Maria could tell, her demeanor relaxed the tiniest bit.

"Well, I better go see her." Maria tucked Louisa's hair behind her ear and raced up the stairs to the guest room.

She was surprised Michael hadn't followed her, but when she made it to the landing, she heard him ask why on earth the angel was on the clock.

When she got to the door, she cracked it open ever so gently, as if she still had to be quietly cautious of her daughter sleeping. Maria was thrilled to see her daughter smiling, Georg was fluffing pillows behind her with one hand while keeping her upright with the other.

"Oh Mutti! Jane exclaimed. She was still flushed pink, even to her ears, and her eyes still looked quite tired, but she was in good spirits, and she noticed the glass of water that was usually full was now empty on the bedside table.

"Darling," Maria raced over and hugged her little girl as Georg took a step back,

"I feel like I slept forever." Jane giggled a little bit before having to clear her throat.

"You slept for quite a while indeed, like sleeping beauty." Maria cooed as she ran her fingers through her daughter's hair. Maria sat in front of her on the bed, her legs hanging off the side.