Chapter 22

"Aunt Hede, you must stay through the weekend and come to our concert Saturday night!" Brigitta exclaimed at the dinner table.

"Yes, you must! It will be my first concert." Gretl beamed proudly.

Hede turned to her youngest niece "Oh? And what will you be singing?"

"H-" Kurt began but Maria cleared her throat. Kurt closed his mouth and sank in his chair.

"I told you not to tell, what would be the point of telling people to attend if you just go and spoil the surprise?" Maria winked at the boy. Hede was glad that Maria liked her job, it was one less thing to worry about. She also didn't want Maria to worry about much this week due to the concert so naturally she insisted she come to dinner every night of her visit. The children were only helping her case.

"I'm sure regardless it will be a wondrous display of talent, too bad I must return to Vienna for the weekend." Max nearly pouted.

"Don't worry Max, I'm sure there's plenty of business that is not your own that you can wiggle your nose into." Georg quipped

"Regardless, we want you to come." Michael smiled. The Rainer children had been taken to Hede quite quickly, which was a surprise to no one.

"I would hate to leave Lukas another day with his father, but how often do I get to see my nephews and nieces perform. It's only a matter of two days, we can simply give Margot her Christmas bonus early."

"Christmas is still a month away." Georg drawled.

"Come now brother, don't be such a Scrooge, I will stay and watch you sing, and I will watch your teacher conduct her pupils too." Hede smiled at Maria who reciprocated. The two had caught up wonderfully, setting goals and intentions for the future to remain in better touch, but with Maria settled in Salzburg it would be much easier than when she was in England.

"What time is the performance on Saturday?" Hede asked.

"6 in the evening," Friedrich supplied. He wasn't exactly thrilled to see his little siblings sing, but he would support them, nonetheless.

"Do you have room in your car for one more Georg?" Hede asked. She had not brought up the Maria business again, as much as it pained her and took all of her self-control not to, she looked at the nine little faces that surrounded her, although she supposed Liesl, Friedrich and Louisa were not all that little anymore, but how could she meddle and potentially rip these children apart, especially when Georg could be so rash. No, she figured Liesl had a grip on things well enough. She just wanted to be informed.

After everyone left after dinner and dispersed, Louisa suggested a game of catch outside. It had been the first sunny day in weeks, and the sun was beginning to set, but it was bitter cold.

"I don't know Louisa; you might catch a cold." Maria cautioned, but that didn't stop the girl from buttoning her coat.

"Please mother?" Michael ran by with Kurt to get their coats as well.

"I don't see the harm in it Maria." Hede shrugged

"Nor do I." Georg added as he helped Michael with his buttons.

"Just thirty minutes, I don't want the little ones getting sick." and with that all of the children except Liesl ran out to play.

Liesl kept Maria occupied all evening, much to the dislike of Max and Hede, at least Max could use the excuse of packing, Hede was left with her brother.

"The children are excited I see."

"Really I had no idea?" Georg took a sip of brandy in his study.

"If you don't want me to stay, I can make up an excuse, the baby-"