Into The Unknown

The title could mean the song "Into the Unknown" from Frozen II, or the cartoon short or comic "Over the Garden Wall".

So why not both?

________________________________________________________________________________

It's been about a year since the brother's journey from over the garden wall, and in just two days that special and particular day is coming up.

Halloween.

And the night the two boys had a near-death experience. 

After that horrific incident, their parents didn't want them anywhere near that graveyard. Let alone go outside at night past seven or eight.

Even when Greg told everyone about their adventures in the Unknown and show them the bell ringing and glowing in Jason Funderburker the frog's belly. Everyone believes it to be a hallucination and that their minds are playing tricks on them. Including their parents.

It could have been all a dream.

But at the start of October, Wirt's been hearing a voice singing from a far-off distance as of late.

He sometimes hears it as the sun sets down, or before he leaves with Greg to drop him off at elementary school before heading to high school.

Now he hears it almost all the time! In class when he's trying to focus or talking to Sara or his friends. Even at night when he's trying to sleep.

Just like tonight.

"AH AH AH AH~"

Wirt tries to pass it off as a ghostly lullaby as he drifts to sleep.

"AH AH AH AH OH~"

But it didn't work this time, for it was louder than nights before.

Wirt sat up in his bed before lying back down and throwing a pillow over his head hoping it'll block it out.

"AH AH AH AH~"

That didn't work either.

"AH AH AH AH~"

Tired how this voice or something other, Wirt quietly gets out of bed and out of his room. Thinking that some water would help, before stopping to see his little brother's bedroom door was open with Greg sleeping with his frog in his arms.

"AH AH AH AH OH~"

After that last melody, Wirt quietly whispers to the air.

Wirt "I can hear you but I won't
Some look for trouble
While others don't"

Wirt enters the bathroom and looks at himself in the mirror as it reflects everything Wirt sees. He sees how dark circles are forming under his eyes, and how utterly exhausted he is from hearing that voice day in and day out this almost whole month.

Wirt "There's a thousand reasons
I should go about my day
And ignore your whispers

Which I wish would go away, oh-oh-oh"

Wirt left the bathroom and headed downstairs for a drink all the while hearing the voice singing with each passing second.

"AH AH AH AH~"

Wirt decides to play along with the mysterious voice. Hoping that it'll stop if he joins.

Wirt "OH-OH"

"AH AH AH AH~"

But that too has failed as well.

Wirt "You're not a voice
You're just a ringing in my ear
And if I heard you, which I don't
I'm spoken for I fear"

When Wirt made it to the living room, he saw a family photo of him, Greg, his mom, and his stepdad hanging above the fireplace.

Wirt "Everyone I've ever loved is here within these walls
I'm sorry, secret siren, but I'm blocking out your calls"

He starts pacing around the room, fighting with himself.

Wirt "I've had my adventure, I don't need something new
I'm afraid of what I'm risking if I follow you"

Wirt pushes away the curtains to see the moon and the night sky shining down on him, as the wind blows autumn leaves in the air.

Wirt "Into the unknown
Into the unknown
Into the unknown!"

"AH AH AH AH~"

Wirt let out a tiring and defeated sigh when he hears someone calls his name behind him.

"Wirt?"

He turned around to find Greg wake with Jason Funderburker in his arms while rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Greg?" said Wirt, "What are you doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep." Greg replied, "I keep hearing a pretty voice singing."

"AH AH AH AH~"

"Just like that," said Greg. While Wirt stares at his brother in astound.

"You've been hearing that voice too?" said Wirt.

"Yeah." said Greg, "I wasn't sure if you can hear it or not." he then walks towards the door with Wirt as his big brother unlock and opens it.

Wirt "What do you want? 'Cause you've been keeping me awake
Are you here to distract me, so I make a big mistake?"

Greg then sings and speaks to the voice.

Greg "Or are you someone out there who's a little bit like me?"

Wirt "Who knows deep down I'm not where I'm meant to be?"

The brothers then head towards the wooded area in their hometown close to the old cemetery.

Wirt "Every day's a little harder as I feel your power grow
Don't you know there's part of me that longs to go."

Misty-like fog swirls around the two boys as if the magic of the Unknown is calling them, creating illustrations of their friends from the unknown with many other faces they've never seen before. 

Wirt & Greg "Into the unknown
Into the unknown
Into the unknown!"

"AH AH AH AH~"

"AH AH AH AH~"

Wirt & Greg "Oh-oh-oh"

Greg "Are you out there?
Do you know me?"

Wirt "Can you feel me?
Can you show me?"

The two brothers sing in sync with the mysterious voice. The foggy mist takes on many forms to show different elements, animals, and creatures dancing around them.

Ah-ah-ah-ah ("AH AH AH AH~")

Ah-ah-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah-ah

Ah-ah-ah-ah

The fog swirled around the brothers one more time before shooting off in the direction of where they first entered the unknown. And the boys chase after it.

Wirt "Where are you going?
Don't leave me alone
How do I follow you
Into the unknown?"