Waiting on a Miracle - MHA Short Story

Katsuki founds Deku's phone on his music app on pause and plays it.

_______________________________________________________________________________

It was another typical day at Aldera Junior High as Izuku was running and hiding from his tormentors making his life a living nightmare.

It was the end of P.E. as Izuku rushed in and out of the changing room without making a sound or a scene. When his ex-best friend turned bully, Katsuki and his goons came into the changing room their opportunity to bully Izuku was already gone.

Goon #1 "Dang, I was hoping to smack him down in the lockers."

Goon #2 "Don't sweat it, we'll get him after school."

Katsuki grumbles "He better be still there or else I'm gonna give him an ass-kicking he won't forget."

Opening his locker to change out of his gym clothes, Katsuki notices a phone in front of Izuku's locker. And it's still on.

Katsuki "Damn nerd, he left his phone in here."

Goon #1 "Oh dude, we should totally mess with his phone."

Goon #2 looked over Katsuki's shoulder, "It looks like he was listening to some music. I bet it was a happy sunshine pop song."

Goon #1 "Play it Katsuki."

Katsuki "Don't tell me what to do, you extras."

But he did press play with the volume turned up to max.

At first, there was a low strumming of a guitar and strings in the background before the singer starts to sing.

🎵 Don't be upset or mad at all. Don't feel regret or sad at all.

The two goons made confusing looks, while Katsuki just glares down at the phone for answers. But they both are thinking the same thing.

'What is this?'

🎵 Hey, I'm still a part of the family Madrigal. And I'm fine, I am totally fine. I will stand on the side as you shine.

The singer's voice quivered and broke out the saddest truth.

🎵 I'm not fine, I'm not fine.

The music starts to pick up a little. As the rest of the boys from their class starts to pile in to hear the song.

🎵 I can't move the mountains I can't make the flowers bloom. I can't take another night up in my room. Waiting on a miracle.

Katsuki stares at the phone and thought, 'What the hell is Deku listening to?'

🎵 I can't heal what's broken. Can't control the morning rain or a hurricane. Can't keep down the unspoken invisible pain. Always waiting on a miracle, a miracle.

Hearing that made the top dog feel something inside of him, and not in a good way.

🎵 Always walking alone. Always wanting for more.

Katsuki didn't know what he was feeling, but he made no signs of showing it to the surrounding extras.

🎵 Like I'm still at that door longing to shine. Like all of you shine. All I need is a change. All I need is a chance.

Katsuki 'A change? You can't change yourself, Deku. Nor do you even have a chance.'

🎵 All I know is I can't stay on the side. Open your eyes, open your eyes, open your eyes.

Goon #1 "What does she mean, 'Open your eyes'?"

Goon #2 "You got me."

Boy student "Shush!"

🎵 I would move the mountains. Make new trees and flowers grow. Someone please just let me know, where do I go? I am waiting on a miracle, a miracle.

Katsuki 'You stay down and out of my way, Deku.' he thought to himself, or rather, lied to himself.

🎵 I would heal what's broken. Show this family something new. Who I am inside, so what can I do? I'm sick of waiting on a miracle, so here I go.

Katsuki 'Why can't you understand that you can't become a hero?!'

🎵 I am ready, come on, I'm ready! I've been patient, and steadfast, and steady. Bless me now as you blessed us all those years ago. When you gave us a miracle!

The song was reaching its climax when the straw finally broke the camel's back.

🎵 Am I too late for a miracle?

With the song ended, Katsuki pauses the playlist from continuing and shoves the phone into his pocket as he finishes changing.

Goon #1 "Man, I cannot believe Deku listening to this wannabe loser princess?"

Goon #2 "I know as if he wasn't quirkless enough! He has to go all 'please, please, please. I'm emo and depressed.'

Katsuki "Shut the fuck up. You fuckers."

Everyone was taken aback by Bakugou's words. Of course, they've heard him say that all the time, but never with so much venom, hate, and anger. But the most surprising thing of all was that there was a hint of sorrow and guilt in his voice.

Goon #2 "Whoa, hey, Bakugou?"

Goon #1 "What's your problem?"

Katsuki shoves past the two and ignores everyone around him as he heads back to the classroom.

Once the school has ended, Izuku rushes out of the building only to be stopped by Katsuki standing in front of him. Taking the phone out of his pocket, Katsuki returns it to Izuku.

Katsuki "You forgot this, nerd."

Startled to hear Katsuki's voice so calm and quiet made everything harder to breathe, it is as if Izuku made one wrong move that would set off an explosion. Slowly, Izuku reaches out and takes his phone back.

Izuku "T-Thanks, Kacchan."

Suddenly, Katsuki rushes at Izuku.

Fearing for the worst, Izuku shuts his eyes tightly so that he won't see the burning pain coming. It never did. Instead of a burning pain, it was a heavy weight of a tight hug.

Izuku 'W-what is this?! Why is this happening, Why is Kacchan?!'

If being hugged by his ex-childhood best friend turned bully, now back to a friend? Wasn't enough, what he said next was the most confusing, surprising, and touching moment of Izuku's life.

Katsuki "I'm so sorry, Izuku. For everything."

Not knowing what to say next, Izuku returns the hug and buries his head into Katsuki's shoulder.

Izuku "Thank you."

This is the start of old friendship rekindling to build a stronger and better friendship.

Katsuki "But I am still going to be number one."

Izuku "We'll see about that."

Katsuki "Huh?"

And a healthier rival to the top-ranking heroes.