3. Victor's purposal

As I took a few steps towards my home, I heard hasted footsteps behind me. Then, the necklace that I was looking at came in front of me dangling from a hand more precisely from Victor's hand.

"It's for you," he said, giving me his crooked grin, which every girl in this village thinks is the killer smile but not me.

"Why? I didn't tell you to buy it for me, " I said, not liking it that he bought that for me.

"But you were looking at it, and I thought you liked it," he said now his grin was wiped out of his face.

"So what if I was looking at it? If I was looking at Moon, would you buy that too? I am capable enough to buy things for me. You or anyone else doesn't have to do that for me, " I said, not wanting to sound rude, but I wanted to tell him off this time. He always buys books and different things which I don't appreciate, and neither does my father.

"Victor, I don't want to be sound rude, but I don't appreciate you wasting your money on me," I said strictly once we were in front of my door.

"But I like buying things for you. It makes me happy," he said in a loud voice.

"I am sure you can find your happiness in many other things," I said, rolling my eyes at his words.

"What's your problem, Flora? Any girl in this village likes it when a man buy things for them and you..." He grumbled.

"Then I am not like them. You can buy things for them if you want. I won't mind." I said, and a frown came on his face. He was getting irritated now.

"Why are you so arrogant? Just because you are beautiful doesn't give you power to be so rude and proudy, " he screeched at me. I visibly flinched away from him.

"I never said that I am beautiful, and neither am I arrogant. You, on the other hand, are stupid who is not getting the message, " I said, and he grabbed my arm roughly in his hand.

"What are you doing, Victor? Leave me, you are hurting me, " I said, trying to loosen his grip, but he had a firm grip that was painful. I am sure it will leave a bruise.

"You are mine! Get that in your mind. I will marry you soon, and you will be my wife, " he hissed at me.

"Leave me," I said, pushing him away from me. This time, he loosened his grip on my arm, and I took a step back.

"Victor, I have always considered you as my friend, I have never thought like that for you. Please try to understand. " I tried to calm him, but he wasn't having it

"I have always loved you since we were kids. It was always you who considers me as a friend. It's not my fault, " he said loudly, arrogance lacing his tone.

"My decision will always be a no, and my father would never go against my will," I said with anger when I felt like he won't understand. He started laughing loudly like a maniac.

"Oh my little Flora, your dad has already said yes to my proposal, and next month we are getting married," he said, and I felt like the world collapsed around me.

"No, you are lying. Father will never ..." I started but paused.

"Sweetheart, my father talked to your father a few days ago, and he said yes immediately," he said, caressing my cheek. I pushed his filthy hand away from my face.

"Go away." I screamed at him, and he went away laughing at me. When he was out of my sight, I opened the lock of the door and went inside. I locked the door behind me and went upstairs to my room.

"No, he must be lying. Father would never do anything like that without asking me. He knows very well how much I dislike Victor." I thought to myself.

Victor was not always like that, once he was my best friend but as we grew up he started acting weirdly around me. He would not let anyone play with me. Even girls weren't allowed to play with me. He made sure that I had only him as a friend. That's the main reason I don't have any friends. All the girls envy me as they want to marry Victor. He is the town's heart-throb, every girl wants to marry him but unfortunately he has his eyes on me.

When I came to know of his intentions, I made my distance with him, but he made it difficult for me. He would buy me things and come in our home. Father liked him as his son, and that's why he never stopped him from coming. Father believed that he was the best man for me, but when I talked with him about my dislike for him, he was on my side. Then how can he...? I have to talk to him before assuming anything.

I don't hate him, but I have a problem with his possessiveness. Sometimes, he gets so violent when I talk to someone else. He had beaten so many boys just because they talked to me. He even hit Billy once, and now Billy gets very conscious around me. He only talks to me when it's necessary.

I had a friend named Maria who lived two houses away he also scared her away, and now she doesn't even look in my direction. I don't know what he said to her, but whenever I see her, she never looks at me. He scared her pretty badly! Everyone in our village respects his father and fears him, so that's why no one can do anything against him.

It was already evening when I came downstairs, I had to prepare dinner for my father. I cut vegetables and washed meat. Today, I am going to make steak for us. It's my father's favourite food. After an hour or two, I was done and set the table. I waited for him, sitting in the living room reading my book. It's already too late. He should be home by now! I started getting worried now. He always made it in time, I stood in front of the window looking for him, but there was darkness everywhere.

"Father, where are you? I am waiting for you, " I whispered.

I waited some more when I heard the sound of horse feet. They are back! I thought and made my way towards the door. It was him!

"Father, you got late, I was getting worried for you," I complained, to which he only chuckled. He finds my worry amusing.

"My apologies, little one, we got stuck," he said, and I motioned him to come inside as Billy took the horses towards the stable at the back of our home.

"Billy, I have prepared dinner. Do you want to join?" I asked him with a smile, but he declined with a small no. He always talked to me by looking at the ground, I don't know whether he respects me or fears Victor.

"Okay," I sighed and went inside as I saw Father already sitting on the chair after washing his hands. He was sniffing the food, and by his reaction, I could tell he loved it.

"Come my child, or it will get cold," he said, and I sat on my chair. We ate our dinner in utter silence. It was me who broke the silence.

"Father, do you want to tell me something?" I raised my brows at him, and I can tell he understood what I am talking about as his face got serious.