Forty Six- Plans in Motion

After my moment with Raegar, I did feel a bit better about the situation, and most importantly, more confident. I was going to protect everyone no matter the cost, and I am sure everyone else felt the same. 

As the days after passed by, we coordinated everything we needed to in order to achieve the best chances of success for the plan. Still, there was gaps and much uncertainty about everything. 

Things around the Hellian castle had been nothing short of insanity, leaving very little room for spending time together especially between Xavian and I. I would catch him glancing or even staring at me often, but there were few moments we'd have time to talk or anything of the sort. 

I was grateful the children seemed unaffected by the entirety of the situation, and I am pretty sure my father had told them we were just going to visit for a while. They just thought of it as an adventure, which was the best possible thing they could be thinking rather than the fact that their lives were in danger. 

Kaedian was nervous as all hell of course. He hadn't faced his brother in a long time, and him popping out of nowhere was going to be uncomfortable and strange for him. I certainly did not envy his position in all of this. 

We had a date, a plan, an entire backup plan for whatever happened when we set things in motion. 

Nerves were high as the date approached and it came quickly. Finally, it was time for Kaedian to set the plans in motion. 

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" I say softly to Kaedian as he stood in front of one of our space crafts preparing to leave for Dyspheria. 

"Not really," Kaedian says with a chuckle. He was practically shaking with anxiety as he looked at the group of us sending him off. I stood in front beside Xavian while our father's and my uncle Zor stood behind us. 

"We believe in you, Kaedian. You're the most important part of this mission right now," Xavian spoke. 

"I know. I'm just nervous to go back to my father's followers. They can be just as snake like as he was. I'm sure my brother won't be far out of reach of them though. I'm positive if I can convince them I am on their side, they'll lead me straight for him," Kaedian says but it comes out more like he's trying to convince himself of it rather than us. 

Suddenly, Xavian's father, Ozias, steps forward and directly in front of Kaedian. We step back, confused as to what Ozias was about to say or do. 

"Kaedian," Ozias speaks. 

"Yes, sir?" Kaedian replies almost sheepishly, very opposite of his normal demeanor. 

"You've been like a son to me since you arrived, and from this I love you like my own. Know that I believe in you, and I trust you to make judgements appropriately in order to ensure this missions success. You're a strong man and we're all counting on you. You will succeed, my son," Ozias spoke with pride while he looked at the young Dyspherian man in front of him. I could see the awe and emotions running through Kaedian's head just in his eyes. 

"Thank you, sir. I won't let anyone down," he replies simply and Ozias nods. 

I step forward and take Kaedian in with an embrace. 

"You can do this, Kaedian. We know you can," I say before I step away. "And you have to come back in one piece. We have a lot more adventures to go on, after all," I say with a smile. He laughs at me and nods. 

"Of course we do. Who else is going to get you into trouble besides Raegar and myself?" he laughs. 

"Exactly," I say, a smile still on my face. 

Kaedian takes a step away, looking at the five of us with a deep breath. 

"I will see you all as soon as I can!" he says as he begins to walk towards his ship. 

"Good luck," my father says from behind me. I give Kaedian a smile and a wave as he boards the craft and the door closes with a hiss. 

I feel a hand wrap around the small of my back and I look up at Xavian who's focus is on the small ship leaving the landing pad. He has a look of pride in his eyes, and behind that concern. He too thinks of Kaedian as family, though he'd be the last to say it. I see the worry for his friend, but I know Kaedian will do everything he can. 

"Well, nothing we can do until we hear back from him. I hope he finds whoever he is looking for soon," Raegar says from behind us. We all turn to see Raegar approaching us. 

"I do too," I say. "The sooner this is all over, the better."

"I agree. We just need to hope Kaedian is successful and no complications come about during this step. There is always a chance they won't believe he is on their side," Xavian speaks from beside me. 

"Kaedian better be a damn good actor then," Raegar says with a chuckle. "I'm sure he will be fine."

"Yeah, me too," I say smiling lightly. I wasn't sure to be honest, but I would play it off the best I could. 

Truthfully, I was terrified of all the possible ways it could end badly. There was even a chance they'd kill him on the spot and everything would crumble. Previously, we discussed sending someone with him, but ultimately decided sending him alone would convince his father's followers better. Everything was in Kaedian's hands now and there was nothing more we could do except stay put and stay protected. 

"Luminara," Xavian's voice pulled me from my thoughts of impending doom. 

"Yeah?"

"Everyone's headed back inside. Would you like to take a walk with me?" he asked, looking hopeful and nervous. 

"Yeah, that sounds nice," I say and he takes my hand and leads me away from the direction everyone else was going.