Three- Possibilities

When we arrived home, I was greeted by my mother who wore a warm and excited smile.

"Welcome home, Baby! How was school?" she asked as she threw her arms around me. I returned her warm hug before pulling away and answering her question.

"It was good, just learning the usual," I said with a smile and a shrug.

"I'm glad your day was good! What would you like for dinner?" she asked as she always does on my birthday. I told her what I wanted; a classic Dyspherian dish, before heading off to my room to change out of my school clothes into something more comfortable.

Once I had switched my clothes, I flopped down onto my large bed. As the only current child of the King and Queen I was given a large room and anything I ever wanted. My room was huge and all white giving it an even bigger look. My bed was large with a pink and cream colored quilt on it, handmade by one of the villagers. I had a desk, a vanity, a dresser, all matching white wood.

I also had my own private bathroom which had a shower, a large bathtub that may as well be a hot tub, and the usual sink and toilet. Everything was the same color; white. I loved the brightness in everything, though sometimes I had my days where darker things fitted me better.

I rolled onto my back and began to let my thoughts take over. Would I change into a dragon? If so, what color would I be? Would I look like my father?

As I was lost in my curious thoughts, a light knock came to the door.

"Come in!" I shouted, assuring whoever was knocking would hear me as I sat up. My mom peeked her head into my room with a small smile.

"Hey honey. Can we talk for a minute?" she asked sounding a bit nervous. I nodded my head and moved to the side, allowing her room to sit next to me.

"What's up Mom?" I asked curious as to what she had to tell me.

"Well... because you're fourteen now, you know you may or may not turn into a dragon like your father. We also speculate this could also cause other issues as well," she said, drifting off.

"What do you mean? What other issues?" I asked nervously.

"We are afraid you may not be able to make connections like normal dragons," she said, sounding worried that I would be upset. Honestly, I was.

Ever since you're a child growing up on Dyspheria, everyone learns about mates and connections. Phoenix and lycans like my aunt Mia only have one connection or mate, which is my uncle Zor. Dragon shifters, however, can have multiple connections but humans don't make them like shifters do.

Humans can feel the connection, but they do not sense it as deeply as a shifter. Shifters can instantly know who they are meant to be with or are compatible with, but with humans its a guessing game.

I looked down, shocked and saddened by the news my mother had just given me. I wanted a mate and to make connections just like everyone else. Your mate is the one person you will love forever and who will always be there and love you back. Who wouldn't want that?

"I'm sorry, Honey. It's just a thought though. You could grow up to be a perfectly normal dragon shifter. It's just that there aren't enough cases yet to know what is going to happen. All the hybrids that came about from the invasion on Earth are either your age or younger," my mother said, trying to make me feel a bit better.

"I understand, Mom. You don't want me to get my hopes up," I said, looking up with sad but understanding eyes. She gave me a light nod and pulled me in for a hug. We stayed there for a few minutes until there were a clamber of footsteps coming closer and closer to my bedroom.

Seconds later, Uncle Zeek came crashing in the door followed by Theo and Thora.

"What is taking you two so long I'm ready to eat already!" Zeek whined.

"Yeah! We are hungry! Hurry up!" the twins spoke in unison.

"Oh for dragons sake! We are coming!" Mom groaned before she stood up. The footsteps of Zeek and the twins retreated down the hallway.

"Come on, Birthday Girl," she said with a soft smile. I returned her gesture and stood up from my bed and walked to the hallway.

"We'll figure it out okay?" Mom said softly, patting my shoulder. I gave her a small nod and smile but I now had doubts of me being normal.

After dinner everyone gave me gifts which were all beautiful and very thoughtful. I made my way back to my bedroom and I felt the need to de-stress. I walked into my large bathroom and began to run the bathtub water before adding an excessive amount of bubbles to it.

Once I was satisfied with the amount of water, I shut the water off and stripped out of my clothing. I let myself slowly slip into the water, allowing the warmth take over my body.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, letting my mind drift away. The first thing that came to mind was that Hellian Prince, Xavian. His handsome features, his hair, the way his body looked so strong and not even fully built yet. Anyone who saw him would know he was going to grow into a fine man.

I quickly shook my mind away from the thoughts. Hellian wasn't a place many people got lost in their thoughts about. I knew the planet was dark and held equally as dark creatures. The teacher's lesson on it was a cotton ball compared to what the planet and people were actually like.

I knew based on what I had heard from my father talking about it that the Hellians were dangerous, hot headed, temperamental, and down right scary. Not something or someone to be dreaming about that's for sure.

I found the water getting cooler and I quickly washed myself and got out. I wrapped a fluffy light pink towel around my body before walking into my bedroom and putting on my pajamas.

I climbed into my bed and clicked the bedside light off. A strange sense of anxiety came to my stomach. I wanted to be normal. I wanted to find a connection and mate and to be a normal dragon shifter.

I laid in bed that night with only two things on my mind; the possibilities of what I may not ever have and the Hellian prince's picture.