The Girl On Ganymede

"You're a coward... a disgrace for a daughter. Why do we even bother with you?" You feel tears well up in your eyes. Although you shouldn't let your emotions control you, this is something your father would say often. Almost every day. Sometimes you would be on the verge of giving up and seek his help, but he would tell you to handle your problems yourself while your mother watched and said nothing. You hate your life. You hate this planet...

~9:00~

Growing up on Ganymede was not exactly 'fun' or 'easy'. Looking up at the sky would only terrify you. Sure, the domes keep you safe from the harsh atmosphere and supplies artificial gravity, but the sky is always what made you hate the place. Every time you so much as glance up, you see the gas giant, Jupiter, towering over you. Every time you see it, you feel like your home is going to dive right into the massive red dot and get torn apart.

You scowl, muttering curses to yourself as you kick the dirt at your feet. You've always wanted to leave, but your parents wouldn't let you. You would stare at pictures and art of what the sky is like on Earth, hell, even Mars. Their skies didn't have a giant planet that could potentially destroy you in eye sight. Well, not up close, anyway.

The galaxy is a scary place, which is why you want to conquer it. Like a prize. You've been flying small transport ships since you were a kid. Your father being a renowned pilot makes that pretty easy, regardless, you want to be a pilot. You want to show the galaxy that you're not scared of it, that you can face anything. But that's kind of hard when you can barely face your parents without feeling angry or scared.

After years and years and years of you being kept on this stupid moon, you made a plan for tonight. Tonight, you'll go to the bay and steal a ship. Yes. You. You'll steal a ship. You'll steal a ship from Ganymede. The thought makes you chuckle. You, who was raised by one of the most recognizable pilots in history... you're going to steal something. It's safe to say your entire family would be amazed.

Speaking of family, your mother insisted on going to Ganymede to give birth to you since the moon is known for being a safe place for children. Mother only wanted one child, but eventually life got so boring they kept reproducing. Now you're one of eight. 3 sisters, 4 brothers, and you. You're the oldest. The one who's supposed to carry on the family name while your siblings stay safe and live in comfort. Comfort. A word you don't comprehend. A word you doubt you'll ever have. Look at your situation: the cold is biting at your skin at this very moment.

Standing outside your house, staring up at the sky - it's giving you a new idea. You don't have to steal anything. You can simply be a stowaway on a transport vessel traveling to Earth or Mars. You can start a new life there, you have the money to do so. You smile to yourself, closing your eyes. You don't need to think about your plan twice. All you know is that you need to leave by 20:00. And you do.

You don't even pack a bag.

~21:00~

Sneaking into the bay was pretty easy. Being a L/N meant that even if you got caught, no one would question you. You know every pilot on Ganymede already; they'd let you touch their controls and see their cargo. It isn't a big deal anymore. You can casually walk around if you want to. But, that's not what you want. You want to sneak around. You don't want to be seen leaving. If you are, whether by a person or a security camera, you'll be tracked down and found almost immediately.

You have one shot, so you have to choose carefully.

You force your nerves down, staying in the shadows and letting the dark sky cloak you. There are several ships here, but you need to find a small one. The smaller, the less noticeable. After sneaking along the fence where the darkness moves with you, you spot a perfect candidate. You can see the name etched into the wing. The Blackwell.