Chapter 12

In the meantime, I drifted off to sleep when suddenly my phone rang.

Sluggishly, I reached out for my phone and answered.

"Hello..?"

"You seem tired," Nanami's voice rang through the phone. "Did you still want to get lunch?"

"Right..." I yawned, "Just give me a moment to get ready."

"Mhm. I'll be there in 20."

The call ended and I got up to stare at my closet.

"All right, what are we wearing today?" I scanned through the clothes and finally picked out an outfit.

By the time I finished, Nanami arrived and we both headed over to the nearest cafe.

"Do you want anything?" Nanami glanced over at me, "It's on me."

"I'll just get an iced raspberry tea."

He nodded and went ahead to order while I went to get us a spot to sit.

After finding a spot, I sat down and waited for Nanami to come back with a tray of our food and drinks.

Nanami handed me my tea and I immediately went straight into it.

"Ugh, this hits the spot," I let out a deep sigh while holding onto the straw.

"Glad to see you're enjoying your drink," Nanami commented before taking a sip of his iced Americano. "Now, was there anything important you wanted to discuss?"

"Of course not," I chuckled. "Why? We can't casually catch up as adults?"

"That's not what I meant."

I sarcastically rolled my eyes while Nanami adjusted his glasses.

"How is your pregnancy going?"

"A pain in the ass," I grumbled. "But I read a book that stated the second trimester is usually the smoothest."

"Which will be in 2 months," Nanami commented, causing me to leaned back against the chair.

"That'll be awhile..."

With a small scoff, Nanami placed his iced coffee down.

Under the warm sunlight, Nanami also leaned back against his chair, legs crossed as he clasped his hands together while looking out the window.

As elegant as a painting, it caught my attention to lean back over the table.

"Just out of curiosity, when are you getting a girlfriend, Kento?" I held out a hand to loudly whisper at him.

Nanami looked back at me without saying a word, but with a raised brow.

"What about a fling?"

Silence.

"Wow..." I sighed, "You must have some spark with someone."

That was when the realization hit me.

"What about that girl? The one that worked at the other bakery? I remember the way you helped her with that cursed spirit~" I smirked at him.

"I was only helping out of generosity," Nanami sighed.

"And? I could tell she was growing to like you. You two could've exchanged numbers and gotten to know each other. Besides, she worked in a bakery! You love pastries!"

"So what?" He frowned at me, "Jujutsu sorcerers risk their lives to protect others. And how do you think she'll react if you told her that I died?"

"That you were honored to be a part of her life."

I gave him a gentle smile, seeing the frustration in his eyes melt away.

"Even if you're afraid to take those chances, at least experience it. After all, you only live once, right?"

I chuckled at my own comment, however, Nanami glared back with slight annoyance as I was referencing Gojo.

"Of all the idiotic things Gojo has said, I actually agree with that. You need to take more risks, Kento. Be adventurous and live your life! I just don't want you locking yourself away from everyone, Kento... Like you did back then..."

Nanami watched me slump back against my chair as I vividly recalled my memories.

"Do you guys know where Nanami is?" I asked Geto as he and Gojo exchanged looks.

"Not sure. But Gojo could help you find him," Geto gave me a gentle smile before pushing Gojo forward.

"Well, that's if you want me--"

"No, thanks anyway," I said and walked past them.

But there were hurried footsteps from behind, only for it to be Gojo's.

"C'mon Y/n! I can be some help to you~"

"Some," I rolled my eyes at the white-haired boy. "That's not going to cut it, Gojo."

"But it'll be fun! Here, let me show you," He chuckled and took my hand.

"W-Wha--?!"

Gojo dragged me behind him, running down the hallways as we passed by faculties and the other students while Yaga hollered at us to stop.

But that didn't stop Gojo. He kept running, laughing as he tightly held onto my hand when we eventually reached the door of my and Nanami's homeroom.

Gojo smiled down at me, heaving as he reached for the door, "See? Wasn't that fun?"

"That we're probably going to be sent to detention? Yeah, sure."

Stepping inside, Nanami was found sitting with his head down on the table, unbothered to check who entered the room.

"Nanami..?" I called and took a seat beside him. "Hey, what are you doing here? Haibara's--"

"Leave me be, Y/n," He muttered.

"No. I'm not leaving until you pull yourself together."

"Then why don't you use Timeless?"

He lifted his head, eyes dulled and puffed as if he has been crying all this time.

Leaving me speechless, Gojo stepped in with a sheepish chuckle.

"Now now, let's not be hasty with--"

"Just like you said back there. You could use Timeless to reverse the incident-- Reverse teaming up with those two. Reverse Haibara's death. Then maybe everything would've been--"

"I was overwhelmed, all right?!" I cut him, "I said all that because I didn't know how to react to his death... How our mission could fail so miserably..."

"You could've at least attempted it..." He muttered, averting his eyes away.

"And do you think it's that easy?" I frowned at him, "I'm still learning to control such a technique that requires a large amount of cursed energy, and you're expecting me to immediately bring a person back to life? Especially not cursing them in the process? If there were no consequences, then I would gladly bring him and Riko back!"

"Then get stronger."

I blinked at him, wanting to bark at him, but he was right...

"Fine," I grumbled and marched back to the door with Gojo behind me. "For your information, I came here to tell you that they're burying Haibara's body at 5. Come if you want. I don't care."

And left without another word.

From that day on, Nanami never mentioned about that day or anything about Haibara. Even when it was his death anniversary.

And after graduation, he left without a word and we lost contact.

Until Gojo got a phone call.