Chapter 18

Jilliana

That rat bastard! I cannot believe he locked me in here. All over a lie I had to tell. How stupid can I be? I'll be lucky if he allows me out of here now. Biting my lip, I'm thinking of what I could do to get out.

Placing my back against the wall I look around the room I'm in. I suppose I could try the window. I'm praying to God that he doesn't have these windows screwed shut. Drawing the curtains away a small smile forms on my lips, all I can see is the locks put in place. Flicking them apart, to unlock the window, I place my hands on the bottom and lift. To my delight the window opens completely.

I pop the screen out and set it on the floor. Looking down I look for something I can get a hold of, to climb down. There is a long slab right below the window. Climbing down I look left to right. Seeing a pipe along the right side I stand straight up, leaning against the wall. Without looking down I walk slowly, taking deep breaths. Trying to calm my nerves.

Once I've reached the pipeline, I swing my body over it and begin sliding down. Thinking I got this in the bag. I just keep sliding, hoping to reach the ground soon. I hear someone intentionally cough from below me making my body freeze.

Closing my eyes I'm hoping I just heard something that isn't there. My mind is playing tricks on me. Looking down I see that's not the case. There leaning against the wall stands Donny. He has his arms folded over his chest, one leg propped up behind him, and I see smoke rising from where he stands. Of course, he would be out here right now smoking a cigarette.

Well, I may have been caught but I'm not going to climb back up and try to pretend this didn't happen. Nor will I go to him with my tail between my legs. Instead, I roll my eyes as I huff out an annoyed breath and keep on going.

Once my feet have hit the ground, I straighten my shirt and hold my head high. Looking him dead in the eyes. It's difficult to see much in the pitch black of night, but I swear I see him look me up and down. Before he stands at his full height, flinging his cig across the pavement he shakes his head from side to side.

"You really have become a tiger. I don't see the once scared kitten anywhere around." He says before walking up to me. Now that he's close, I can see his big brown eyes have mischief within. He laughs out right, full blown head tilt back, and hand on his stomach.

"This is going to be so entertaining." He says while wiping tears out of the corner of his eye. "Well, I would love to let this little escape plan of yours go and keep it between you and I." He comes even closer to me and whispers "You do realize that there are cameras everywhere, right?" He nods his head in the direction of one that is laser focused on where we stand.

He pulls back and gives me that big silly grin of his. "Not to mention there are guards everywhere here. So where were you going to go if I wasn't here on the ground when you did your little escape attempt?" He asks with one hand on his chin. He's tugging his beard that just shows enough with his finger and thumb while studying me.

Shrugging my shoulders I answer him honestly, "Well I'm not really sure. Hadn't thought that far. I just knew I had to get out of that locked room." He gives me a look of understanding.

"As you know Keighan is occupied right now, and since I'm sure he knows you are out of that room." His head turns to the camera once more. He has the audacity to wave his hand to say hello to whoever is watching us, before facing me once more. "Come on, I'll take you to see Carlee until he comes to get you." He turns and walks to the back door of the mansion.

With the mention of Carlee, I hope to catch up with him. He's going to let me see her. I am all for it. "She's still awake at this hour?" The last time I checked the clock it was two in the morning. Which has me wondering, "What are you still doing up?" He looks at me out of the corner of his eye.

"I haven't slept well in years. Just needed a cig after my fun escapade I just had." He wiggles his eyebrows at me. Letting me know just what he is talking about. I swear some things haven't changed at all. Although Donny not changing is one of the good things.

We walk through the halls and up the stairs in comfortable silence for the rest of the way. Until we reach her bedroom door. Which happens to be in her twin brother's part of the house. Good they will protect her from their drunken father.

I bite my lip with nervousness as we stand in front of her door. All I can bring myself to do is look at it. "She's okay." He shrugs one shoulder with a look of sadness on his face. "She's just being as strong as she can." Looking at me he gives me one of his rare full-blown smiles. "I think seeing you will help her a lot right now. Raise her spirits."

Taking a deep breath, I place my hand on the doorknob. Before turning it, I tap my fingers against her door. My signature knock lets her know it's me. "Come in Jilly." I hear her broken voice through the threshold.

Opening the door, I go to rush to see her, but Donny places his hand on my arm. I turn to face him; my brows furrowed with curiosity. He leans down kissing my forehead. "Glad you're back little sis." He winks at me, turns, and walks down the hall. Leaving me feeling the heartwarming feeling with his old sentiment. He still refers to me as little sis. With that thought, I walk into the room with pride in my heart.

Once I'm fully into the room Carlee runs into my arms. Instantly I feel her tears hitting my shoulder. I place my arms around her, shushing her quiet. I know she needs this, to release every emotion she has about tonight.

Slowly, I walk us both over to her bed. Once we sit down, she pulls away from my body to wipe her eyes. "Sorry," she takes a slow steadying breath "I think I got some of your shirt wet."

I wave her worries off, "no biggy you know I'm always here for whatever you need." She smiles at me with tears still held in her eyes. "I can't believe my father did that to me. I was expecting his wrath. A lecture, you know yelling. How could you move away in the middle of the night and hide from us, your family?" She looks up at me, fresh tears falling along her cheeks.

"I didn't expect the man that is supposed to be my father to take it that far. To throw me to the ground in the opposite room from everyone and whip out his belt and beat me several times." She looks down to her hands, her thumb rubbing along the other.

"I tried to hold back the screams, but by the fourth whack I just couldn't anymore. The burn and sting of the leather was just too much." I hold her hand with mine giving her the comfort she desperately needs.

She lets out a humorous laugh, "I would have sworn Keighan would have agreed with his actions." She looks up into my eyes "because of me getting us into that situation three years ago, but he didn't. He stuck up for me. Saying I didn't deserve it." She grabs a tissue from her nightstand to blow her nose.

"I guess he really has forgiven me. Who would have thought the beast has a heart." Her words bring a small glimmer of hope to my own. I just hope his heart will beat for me in the end. Because if he keeps screwing other women we are done for good.