4

monday morning and sadie was still tired from last nights game.

she sluggishly got ready for the school day and tried to keep her eyes open as much as possible.

"good morning." jack sang as he came into her bedroom. sadie glared at him and continued to put on her makeup.

"someone is grumpy." he mumbled as he sat on her bed.

"so, how was last night?" jack asked. sadie didn't respond and jack looked at her though her mirror.

"silent treatment?" he questioned. sadie shook her head no.

"are you mad at me?" he asked. again, she shook her head no.

"then what is it?" he frowned.

"im tired! okay! im freaking tired and all i want to do is go back to sleep but i cant." sadie whined, slamming her mascara bottle in her vanity.

"wow okay, uhm. cant you just skip?" jack asked.

"i cant. i have a math test last period and i can't take anymore absence days." sadie complained.

"sleep during study hall." jack told her.

"i cant. i need to use that time to study for math. if i fail this test, i'm grounded. no seeing you, no going to hockey games, not even stepping foot out of my room jack." sadie told him.

"sorry, i didnt mean to freak out on you, im just really, really tired." sadie sighed.

"it's alright." jack smiled sadly. sadie grabbed her backpack from the corner of room and left the house with jack.

the walk to school took five minutes, so they were in home room just as the bell rang. the two sat down next to each other and sadie rested her head against jack's shoulder.

"don't fall asleep." jack whispered.

"im resting my eyes." sadie snapped. jack chuckled quietly and paid attention to the teacher calling out names.

"jack?"

"here."

"sadie?"

"here." she mumbled.

"open your eyes sadie." the teacher said. sadie opened her eyes and glared at the teacher.

"busted." jack whispered. sadie shoved jack away and pulled out her phone. a reminder popped up, telling her that she had to start packing or she wouldn't be ready by the time they started moving.

"start packing? where are you going?" jack asked as the bell rang, signaling the end of home room.

"uh, for a vacation?" sadie said, though it came out as more of a question.

"i know you're lying sade, why are you packing?" jack asked again.

"im being dead serious. im going on a vacation." sadie scoffed.

"you know how i know that's a lie? our families go on vacations together and my parents have said nothing about it, so again, why are you packing?" jack told her.

sadie stood right outside of her classroom and looked at jack.

"i'll tell you at lunch, i have to get in there." sadie dipped into the classroom, leaving jack alone to think about what she was packing for.

sadie sat down at her desk in the back of the class and thought about how she would tell jack that she was moving. it was going to be hard, and sadie most definitely would start crying, but it had to get done, and today was the day.

first period went by quick, as did second period, but third and fourth period went by slow. the bell rang and sadie knew that she was going to have to tell jack now.

sadie sat down at their normal lunch table and pulled out a small bag of goldfish. she never normally ate lunch, just a small snack. it was normal for a teenager to not want to eat the school lunch or pack a lunch.

jack usually gave her some fruit snacks and luke usually gave her something. it was different every day.

luke sat down at their table and smiled at sadie.

"why do you look so upset?" luke asked.

"huh? oh, it's nothing. it's just that i have to tell jack and you something important, and i have no idea how it's going to go." sadie told him.

"what's this about packing now?" jack asked, slamming his backpack on the table. a few heads turned in their direction and sadie rolled her eyes.

"can you sit down at least?" sadie questioned. jack listened and sat down across from her next to luke.

"im leaving. michigan. for good. at the end of the school year." sadie told them. jack's mouth opened, but then quickly closed.

"like, you're moving?" luke asked. sadie nodded her head, looking over at jack and wanting him to respond.

"where? i mean, where are you going?" luke questioned.

"vancouver." sadie answered.

"canada? you're moving to canada?" jack asked baffled. sadie nodded her head.

"how long have you known?" jack questioned.

"since christmas." sadie replied.

"who else knows?" jack asked.

"just one."

"who is it?"

"quinn.." sadie said quietly.

"my brother knew before i knew?" jack yelled.

"jack it's not serious." sadie frowned.

"of course it's serious! we've been best friends since we were kids and now you're ditching me for my brother! you know how much it hurts me seeing you spend all this time with him? a whole fucking lot!" jack yelled. he grabbed his backpack and started to walk away.

"jack!" sadie called after him. he waved her off and she sat back down. she knew it was gonna go bad, and it did.

"jack hates me." sadie mumbled.

"he doesn't hate you, sade. he's just upset. i mean i am too, but you guys have been close since forever. what im trying to say is that he's upset you didn't tell him first." luke told her.

"i wished i could've told him first, but quinn admitted that he liked me and i shut him down because i was moving, and now that quinn and i have been hanging out...i never realized jack was jealous." sadie said.

"you know jack. he can be a little...stubborn. just talk to him after school, let him cool down. just do it before his game tonight, otherwise he'll be throwing punches the second he steps onto that ice." luke explained.

"i hope he will listen to me."