11

the 2019 nhl draft was today, and sadie was nervous. jack had given her the ticket and she was now debating if she should even go.

she knew if she didn't go, jack would get upset, so ultimately she decided to go. sadie was in her bedroom, trying to figure out what dress she should wear.

"knock, knock. a little birdie told me that you were going to the draft tonight." sadie's mom said as she came into the bedroom.

"yeah, and i'm nervous. what do i even wear to this type of thing?" sadie asked.

"you were this dress." her mom said, handing her a black cocktail dress. it wasn't too fancy, but it fit the dress code.

"where did you get this?" sadie asked.

"bought it just for this event. i had a feeling."

"i love you mom." sadie hugged her and took the dress. she went into her bathroom and slipped on the dress, her mother helping her by zipping it up.

"the boys will be all over you."

"gross mommy." sadie chuckled. the doorbell rang and both girls looked up.

"that's them. i'll go get the door." sadie's mom said.

sadie put on some lipgloss and a few rings. she picked up the necklace the boys had gotten her before she had left and put it on.

after spraying perfume on, she put on her white heels and reached for her clutch. inside was money, her id, and her phone.

"sadie!" her mom called.

"coming!"

sadie rushed down the stairs, being careful not to fall down.

"wow." all three hughes boys said. sadie's father glared at them, but sadie smiled.

"you look amazing sade." jack complimented, taking her hand.

"thank you." sadie smiled.

"oh, don't forget this." sadie's mom handed her a bag and sadie looked at her confused.

"you'll thank us later." her father assured. sadie took the bag and left the house with the hughes boys.

"we're going on a bus with the rest of the group." jack said. sadie nodded her head and got into the rental car the hughes had.

jack was driving, luke was in the passenger seat, so quinn and sadie were in the back seat.

"no funny business back there." jack warned them. sadie's cheeks turned red while quinn rolled his eyes.

"you look hot." quinn whispered into her ear. he loved making her feel shy, he thought it was cute.

"thank you." sadie whispered back. the drive to the hotel wasn't that far, and soon they were all on the bus.

"hey sadie." trevor said from the back of the bus. everyone turned to face sadie and she blushed from embarrassment.

"hi." she said quietly. quinn sat down next to jack, so sadie sat down next to luke.

"nervous?" luke asked.

"yeah, and i'm not even getting drafted." sadie chuckled.

"you'll be fine. we expect him to go first." luke told her. sadie smiled and nodded her head.

jack going first pick meant that he'd be going to new jersey, all the way across the usa. 3,000 miles away from each other, but she would still have quinn.

"i know, i'll miss him too." luke whispered.

"but i'm proud of him. im proud of all of you." sadie assured.

when they got to the arena, jack went to go sign autographs, leaving the rest of the hughes family to find their seats.

"thank you so much for letting me come." sadie thanked ellen and jim.

"no problem. we know it would mean a lot to both jack and you." ellen said.

sadie sat down in her seat next to quinn and their grandmother.

"it's so good to see you." she said.

"it's good to see you too. i've missed all of you." sadie smiled.

jack eventually came to sit down with the group, and they all waited for the draft to start. quinn noticed sadie's leg bouncing from anxiety, so he put his hand on her thigh.

"it's alright. there's nothing to worry about." quinn told her.

"im not good with these kinds of things." sadie sighed. quinn noticed people come out onto the stage, so he put his finger to his lips, telling sadie to be quiet.

"with the first pick overall," martin bride it started. "the new jersey devils are proud to select from the us program, jack hughes."

everyone smiled and stood up, clapping their hands for jack. he hugged sadie and sadie smiled, tears in her eyes.

"im so proud of you." she whispered.

"thank you." he whispered back.

jack made his way down to the stage and sadie sat back down in her chair.

"can i ask what the bag my mom gave me is for?" sadie asked.

"we're going to new york." quinn smiled.

that same afternoon after jack did his press conferences and pictures, him, quinn, luke, and sadie all took a private jet to new york for a yankee's baseball game.

"go change, i just know that the dress in not comfy." jack said, throwing her bag at her.

"it's fine actually." sadie said. "but i'll change if it makes you feel better."

"adam sandler and reggie jackson will be there too." jack announced.

"you're lying." sadie said.

"nope." jack smiled. sadie smiled back and the two started laughing.

"it's a joke, quinn. i know you're looking at us like we're crazy." jack said.