Chapter 23

Dawn's POV

"Why not!" Ryder asked, although it came out as a yelled statement.

'I don't want to take your food or anything!' I lied

He rolled his eyes when he read it, and I slapped his arm with the notebook.

He made a small smile at that action, but it was gone as quick as it came.

At the moment, I am at Ryder's house. I've been here for at least an hour. And Jesse is at school, tutoring.

During the hour I've been here, Ryder found out that I can bake. Thus, leading to me baking a cake, and Ryder eating the cake. Now, he is trying to get me to eat some cake.

I haven't had cake in years. I bake them for Billy all the time, though. I would take a bite, but I'm afraid all the sugar and stuff in it will make me sick considering my body isn't used to all the sugar and calories in it.

"You made the cake, though. So, it only makes since for you to eat it. Or at least try it!" He said, looking at me like I was insane.

I rolled my eyes.

'If I try it, would you stop badgering me about it!?' I wrote.

"Yes! I pinky promise!"cHe said, sticking out his pinky.

I wrapped my pinky around his, and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Your hand is so cold..." He trailed.

With that said, I tried to get my small pinky unwrapped from his big one.

But he continued with the pinky promise by kissing the back of my hand, making involuntary shivers go down my spine.

I stared at our hands, and then looked at him.

He stared me, and expectant look on his face.

I brought his hand to my cracked and busted lips. Then pressed a kiss to the back of his hand.

I looked up at him, to see him already staring at me.

He stared into my eyes, as if searching for something.

I stared back into his deep orbs, struggling to keep myself masked of emotion.

That's when reality hit me in the face like a brick.

I looked at the table, and yanked my hand away from his. Then pointed at the cake.

"Uh- yeah. Right." He stuttered, scratching the back of his neck.

He went to the cake, and cut two slices of different sizes. He put them on separate plates, and turned to me.

"Which one? He asked.

I picked the smaller slice, and picked up the fork he put down.

He stared at me, with an amused face, and his chin resting on his hand. As if he was watching a movie.

I cut off a tiny piece of the chocolate cake with chocolate icing on top, and was about to eat it when I was stopped.

"No" Ryder said, taking my fork.

I gave a confused look, and he got a bigger piece on the eating utensil.

I looked at the fork in horror, but masked it when Ryder looked at me.

Might as well get this over with, I though

I took the fork, and made the biggest mistake I've made today.

I put the cake in my mouth, and chewed quickly, not wanting to know how it tastes.

I swallowed, and before I could even feel it, I knew what was about to happen.

I rushed to the cabinet that held the cups. I went to the sink, and turned on the water, hoping to flush it all out of my throat before it happened.

Before I could even take a sip, I felt sick.

I put the cup down, and ran to the bathroom, ignoring the fast footsteps behind me.

I burst threw the bathroom door, and as soon as I was knelt over the toilet, at all came up.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and I felt a hand rub my back as they gathered and held my hair.

The taste was awful, a sit was just stomach acid, water, and the piece of cake I just consumed.

About 10 minutes later, I was done, and flushed the toilet.

He left to get me a toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouth wash.

He came back with them, and I washed my mouth.

I put the cover of the toilet down, and sat on it.

I hung my head low, as I stared at the two feet in front of me.

"Are you okay?" He asked in almost a whisper.

I just hung my head lower, embarrassed.

I watched him come closer to me, and squat down in front of me.

He put a finger under my chin, and lifted my head, making me look at him.

He grabbed both of my cold hands in each of his warm ones, and stared talking.

"Don't be embarrassed. It happens to everyone. You're just not feeling well. That's all." He whispered to me, his hands never leaving mine as his thumbs rubbed circles on the back of them.

"I'm... I'm sorry I pressured you into that. If I'd known you weren't feeling well..." He trailed.

I shrugged, a gesture saying whatever.

He stared into my eyes. And I stared into his.

He slowly trailed his eyes down my face. Stopping at my lips.

I stared at him. Not just one part of him. Just... him.

He really is a gorgeous man.

He looked back into my eyes, and slowly started moving closer.