Chapter 72

It's been almost two weeks, and I've now been declared healthy enough to go back to school.

I've gained weight, almost 5 pounds. It doesn't sound like much, seeing as it's been a week and a half, but I threw up the majority of the food.

My bruises are healing nicely since I'm not getting hit on every day anymore. They actually have time to heal.

Neither Ryder or his mom want me going back quite yet, but I can't afford to miss anymore days. Ryder has been bringing me back my work, and helping me with anything new, but it's not as much as a teacher could teach me, and my attendance probably looks terrible right now.

I slide on the sweat pants Jenny let me have. Not as baggy as I'm used to, but they'll work. She has a much curvier body than I do. Her toned calves and thick muscular thighs are a hell of lot bigger than my tiny legs.

She asked questions when she heard I needed to borrow some clothes, which Ryder answered to an extent. She knows I live with him now, and as much as she wanted to know why she agreed to not ask any more questions until I was comfortable explaining to her.

I don't want to, but a part of me trusts her. She's seen my melt downs at school when I'd lose control over my emotions, and she never told anymore, or tried to pry, or made assumptions. She's.. a good friend. Yeah, that's right.

The word seemed foreign to me, but things are changing for the better now. And I am learning to accept change.

After putting on my shoes, Ryder brings me one of his hoodies, which I wore on top of his shirt.

I ignore the butterflies in my stomach as I slide it over my body, his scent hitting me in the face. Not in a bad way, but in a pleasant, calming kind of way.

Together, we ascend down the stairs to the kitchen where we both pour a bowl of cereal. His bowl was much, much bigger than mine.

After pouring the milk, we both start eating as we wait for Jesse.

I catch his eyes flicking to my bowl every few minutes, making sure I'm eating every bite, but also checking to see if I get sick.

"You know," he says with a mouth full of cereal, "you're getting a lot better at keeping your food down," pride flows in his voice with every word. I feel my cheeks heat up at the thought of him being proud of me.

Why are they doing that? Stop it cheeks!

Ryder and I have been getting closer. If it were a week and a half ago, I never would've thought I'd allow this to happen. But he's been here with me through all of this. Every chance he gets, he right by my side. And seeing as I'm not bound by my father anymore, I figured it'd be good for me. Going through life alone for so long has taken its toll on me. It's unhealthy for anyone to stay so isolated. My mental health couldn't take it anymore.

He'd ask if I wanted his company, and I'd say yes without a single thought.

I've grown to love his company. He isn't that asshole I met on my first day. He isn't that arrogant, egotistical bad boy when he's with me.

He's.. Ryder. A caring, gentle, sweet man. A friend.

My best friend.

"I, uh," I swallow the fruity pebbles I had been chewing. God, this cereal is delicious. "I've gotten better at controlling it by eating slower."

"Hm," he nods, "you know the slower you eat, the faster you get full," he raises an eyebrow at me.

"Which keeps me from over eating and getting sick, mister know-it-all," I flick my spoon at him like an accusing finger.