Chapter 52

DAWN'S POV

"Oh, hello, Mr. Falls," Ryder greets, "um, Dawn forgot this at the cafe.. could you give it to her?"

My eyes widen impossibly bigger when I hear him.

My heart beats even faster when I realize that I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen when Ryder leaves.

This has never happened before.

"Oh," Jim says, "thank you..." he trails.

"Ryder," Jim nods at this new information.

"Thank you, Ryder. Dawn will appreciate this very much." A shiver runs down my back as I watch father smile.

Ryder probably sees a nice dad, sincerely smiling at this polite young boy his little girl is friends with.

But I see a smile promising pain and misery when this boy leaves.

I want to run. I should run. This has no good ending, this is nothing but danger. I should pick myself up off this floor and run as far as I possibly can.

But I'm paralyzed.

Jim closes the door and peaks through the blinds, making sure he's gone before he does anything.

The sound of his car gets quieter and quieter. Then he's gone.

I painfully sit up as Jim makes his way over to me.

He looks down at me and smiles.

"Well, I was going to finish this beating and let you go," he says.

Before I could blink, his hand jotted out, grabbing me by my throat. He picks me up and slowly starts squeezing.

"Where were you?" He says through clenched teeth. He releases his grip a little, letting me answer.

"Didn't you hear him?" I wheeze out, "The cafe."

His grip tightens again as he let's out a dark laugh.

"I see you got your spine back, darling," he grits out.

When he tightens his hand all the way, I start thrashing and clawing, trying to get him to let go. My lungs started to burn and my body started to get tired, but I kept trying. All the while, he kept his eyes trained on mine, a wicked smirk on his face.

My body slows down, and eventually slumps into his hold. When I felt like I was finally going to pass out, he let me go and I collapse to the ground. As I gasp and cough for air, he kicks my stomach, making all of it leave my body again.

"Why were you at the cafe?" He asks, his voice strangly calm.

I didn't answer until I could somewhat breath properly again.

"Coffee. Why else?" I say lowly.

"Hm," he grunts, "would a trip to the basement help with this attitude?"

I shut up.

He takes a slow step closer, like a predator stalking his prey. I sit still, silently accepting what's about to happen. As he gets closer and closer, my heart beats faster and faster. Right when he was about to grab me, he stops. An evil smile creeps onto his face.

My breathing quickens as I anxiously wait for him to do something. My eyes cut to his every movement.

"Was Jesse with you?" he asks, then he chuckles, "Of course he was, he's like your little bitch."

I bite my tongue. Drawing blood.

"I shouldn't only punish you, should I? The both of you broke my rules," he made a thoughtful expression.

"Don't you fucking dare," I grit out through clenched teeth.

"Or what?" He taunts.

I don't say anything, just painfully get up on my feet. I stare him in the eyes, hoping to piss him off enough to forget about Jesse.

"You're weak," he spits, "I will always win, Dawn, so don't make empty threats."

I take a step forward, gritting my teeth.

"I am not weak," I take another step, "I've been getting beat on by you for years, daddy. And for what? Because your wife died?" His face is blank, but I see his dark eyes gloss over as tears prick them. I don't stop. With a newfound confidence, I harshly continue.

"She was my mother," my heart starts to ache, "I was in the car with her, dad! I'm your child! You were my hero!" I take another step towards him as I raise my voice, "Not anymore, Jim. You drink yourself to sleep. You abuse me, you abuse your son. You're no longer our father," I'm now right in front of him, staring into his eyes, "You're a pathetic excuse of a man. Does hitting me make you feel better about yourself? Does bruising and scarring my body make you feel better about mom? She would be so disappointed in you," he takes in a sharp breath and I see him clenching his fists, "She would hate you like we do. We hate you, Jim."

His chest rises and falls quickly as he stares into my eyes. His face is twisted into anger, matching mine.

"I am not weak, dad. You are."