Chapter 37

*Not edited*

Dawn's POV

I quietly wash the dishes, and watch Jim carefully.

He keeps his eyes on the t.v. screen, and I see he's watching NASCAR.

I focus my eyes back on the plate in my hand.

"Dawn," he calls, making me jump from surprise.

"Yes sir?"

"Make enough dinner for four people tomorrow night, I have a friend coming over tonight."

My breath hitches.

He has a friend coming for dinner? My mind suddenly flashes to last time he had a friend over for dinner.

"Dawn, this is Cody," father says with an evil look in his eyes.

Cody smirks at me, and I suddenly get a terrible feeling in my stomach.

"Cody is here to help me with something. Something very important," I took notice in the way he spoke- like there was a secret.

Cody was intimidating to say the least, and quite scary. He wasn't ripped, but he did have muscles. He stood with his hands together, and feet apart. He had cold eyes and a sneer on his lips. His head was shaved, but he wasn't bald. He practically screamed fear me.

I swallow hard and give him a small nod.

The memory was cut short when I was knocked off my feet with a burning cheek.

"Are you even listening to me?" Father yells.

I quickly nod and get back up.

"You have three people coming over?" I ask, holding my breath for the answer.

"No, you and your brother will be joining us," he answers as he opens the fridge and grabs a bottle of alcohol.

I let out the breath I was holding and nod, although I couldn't shake off the confusion.

I finish the dishes, and go to my room where I see Jesse sleeping.

He was curled into a fetal position as he snored softly. I wished nothing more than to just sleep, but I decided to get a shower first.

With that, I grab my clothes and go to the bathroom.

As I stand under the hot water falling on my back and over my head, I think about tomorrow night and what it could consist of, but my mind slips to the last time father had a friend over.

The man father introduced me to, Cody, gives a nod back.

"Cody, this is my daughter, Dawn- the one I was telling you about," father says with an edge in his voice.

The feeling in my stomach worsens when he puts his hand out for me to shake.

I hesitantly put my hand in his, and shake it, but before I could even blink, there was a searing pain starting in my hand and going up my arm.

I wince as his grip gets impossibly tighter, but try to hide the pain.

He finally lets go, and I feel my hand go a little numb.

"Shall we get started?" father asks Cody with a sadistic smile.

I gulp.

I've never understood why my own father did what him and that man did to me, his own daughter. I've never understood why my father does what he does to me. I've never understood why my father thinks I killed my mother. I know I didn't. That driver did. He almost killed me too. But after a while, I start to believe what he says, and I start to think I killed her too.

When I finish my shower, I lay in bed and slowly fall asleep.

I wasn't too sure about this chapter but I hope you liked it. Vote and comment please. I would really like to know what you thought.