Chapter 40

Danw's POV

It was way passed midnight when father got home.

Jesse was sleeping, but I woke up earlier and found that i couldn't see out of my right eye. I went to my bathroom to see that it was swollen shut and a mixture of blue, purple, and yellow. After that, I couldn't go back to sleep. All I could think about was school tomorrow with my eye lookimg like this.

Father slams the front door, the sound echoed through house, and I heard his heavy foot steps coming up the stairs.

But there's one thing... his room is down stairs. 

In a panic, I cover Jesse's body with our blanket, and put a few pillows on him and between us- making it look like my blanket and pillows. I silently pray that he wouldnt wake up.

I lay down, and close my eyes, waiting to see what's to come.

My door slowly opens, I hear the creaking noise it makes when it's moved slowly.

Foot steps come closer and closer towards my bed, and I feel my hands start to tremble under the blanket.

"Bitch," I hear him whisper with a tone I couldn't detect, "you've taken everything from me," he says only a little louder, his voice cracking.

There's suddenly a loud crashing sound, like glass hitting a hard surface.

I jump, the unpredicted sound scaring me. I hoped he didn't notice.

I feel Jesse grab one of my hands, telling me he's awake.

Next thing I knew, the blanket were ripped off the both of us, and my eyes were wide open.

"You've taken everything from me!" He screams in absolute rage, as he picks me up from my shoulders.

The color in my face drains and my breathing stops completely when I see his face.

His eyes are blood shot, eye brows furrowed hard, and his jaw clenched, his mouth in a snarl. A vein is popping out, and he's all red.

Horrifying.

He drops me on the ground like a sack of potatoes, sending pain everywhere, but all I could think was I couldn't take another beating tonight.

The one I had received just hours ago was bad enough, another in one night would be too much for my body to take, and I knew this from experience.

He crouched down to my level, and gets close to my face.

"You should've died," he says, staring into my eyes.

"I know," I reply, holding his gaze.

"My wife should still be here," I feel his spit hit my cheek.

I ignore it.

"I know."

And with that, he leaves.