ᴄʟᴇᴀɴꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴏʀᴇꜱᴛ

[Y/N's Point Of View, 19 Years Old]

Vernon put the box down on your kitchen's countertop, almost dropping it. He brought a large supply of sage that a weird woman offered him on "discount" after he told her about your problems with a "skin walker."

Vernon dusted off his hands "And she advised us to cleanse around the area tonight, during the full moon. It was because of some bizarre reason that I can't remember."

He entered your cabinet and began looking for something he could eat. He muttered "You have no good food in this place" as he scanned the area thoroughly.

You and Vernon stayed inside, mostly just watching TV and talking whilst waiting for the daylight to die.

Once the night finally arrived, the two of you set off outside with sage bundles in your hands.

After lighting them, the two of you carefully cleansed around the fence and also around the perimeter of the house just to be safe. You also cleansed inside the house to be safe, making sure to focus on the windows and doors.

Vernon suggested cleansing around the outside of the forest to make sure nothing emerges from it, but you decided against it since you didn't really want to go out there. Besides, you don't have much trust in this whole sage thing to begin with, much less enough to put yourself in danger for it.

Vernon left half an hour after the cleansing so that you could go to sleep.

[Y/N's Point Of View, The Present]

"Vernon just left you alone with a monster!?" One of the kids yelled. Most of them have already fallen asleep. You're nodding off as well, but you have to keep telling the story until they're all sound asleep.

"Well he couldn't've stayed even if he wanted to. He had his elderly father to look after. The poor old man had sleep apnea and many other problems that weren't able to be diagnosed at the time." You lectured them.

[Y/N's Point Of View, 19 Years Old, 3 Hours Later]

"Should we cleanse the perimeter of the forest?" Vernon's voice echoed through your head.

You can't seem to fall asleep for more than 30 minutes without being woken up again by the noises of your house and the noises outside. At the moment you're seriously on edge and you're jumping at every little sound.

It wasn't long before many other things started to run through your mind. It isn't much, it's just sentences that have impacted you throughout your time here.

"You're in terrible, terrible danger."

"Run, Y/N. Run before it's too late."

"I planned on killing you, but I couldn't."

You tried covering your ears with the cushions from your bed, but it never did much. No matter how hard you pressed them against your head you could still hear his voice.

"Y/N, the door's locked!" Someone yelled up to your window from outside. Vernon...? Didn't he leave a while ago?

You forced yourself to get up from the comfort of your own bed to take a peek out the curtains. You almost pulled the curtains back, but you stopped yourself after waking up a little and coming back to your senses.

It couldn't've been Vernon if he had left hours ago to let you get some sleep.

It had to have been the monster from the forest.

You very carefully pulled back the curtain a little. Just enough for you to see out but for nothing else to see in. As you expected, the thing stood on the outside of the gate, looking up at your bedroom window with a malevolent expression.

You slowly walked away from the curtains and got back into your bed, pulling the sheets over your head. There's nothing you can do. Your only hope is to pray that the sage will work.

For the time being, you'll have to rely on the "Monsters can't see you if you're under the blanket" logic that has worked for you since you were a child.