Unforgiven

*West Maypole*

The two Sergeants arrived on scene after their two Detectives responded to a man down call and found a cop shot to death in a nearby alley.

"Patrol Officer Mike Blaine." Jay informed as the small group ducked under a strip of yellow tape. "He's got 22 years on the job-"

Hank stopped dead in his tracks, forcing the others to do the same.

"You gotta be kidding me." He exclaimed in shock and slight disbelief.

"What?" The male Detective wondered, not recieving an answer.

"Henry?" Ana called, snapping him out of his trance.

"Man, I knew him." The older man revealed.

"Oh." Jay whispered as they continued on towards the red tape.

"We worked together four years in Vice. Like, I knew him well." Hank explained, quietly.

"I'm so sorry, Boss." The male Detective shook his head.

"All right, what else do we have?" Ana inquired as her husband crouched beside the body and pulled the white blanket down to reveal the face.

"Two shots in the back. We found two .45 caliber casings about ten feet from the body." Hailey reported.

"Time of death?" Hank demanded.

"Around 11pm last night." Jay replied.

"Robbery?" Ana speculated as the older man stood back up.

"Don't think so. Watch, wallet, cash." The blonde listed. "All found on him."

"There's no sign of a struggle, either." The male Detective added.

"Sounds like an ambush." Hank pointed out.

"Yeah." Jay agreed.

"Do we know what the heck he was doing over here?" Ana wondered, spotting Kevin and Kim walking over from the left.

"No, ma'am. Doesn't sound like he was on the clock." The dark skinned Officer responded.

"You telling us he wasn't on OT?" Hank asked in confirmation, barely keeping a level tone.

"His sergeant said he turned in his squad keys at 10pm." Kim chimed in.

"Checked his car. Saber radio, duty rig, vest. . . all packed." Adam spoke up as he joined the rest of the team. "Everything indicates he was done with his tour."

"Right, we don't have to tell you there's gonna be a lot of eyes on this, so we do it by the numbers, understand?" The older man warned.

"So, PODs, cameras, and witnesses. Let's go." Ana ordered and everyone scattered off to do as they were told.

Hank crouched down and recovered the body's face.

"See ya on the other side, Mike." He murmured.

The brunette placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze before walking off herself.

*District 21: Bullpen*

Hank and Ana walked in with expectant looks on their faces.

"Guys." Kim greeted, standing up and making her way over to the whiteboard. "So techs found faint tire impressions near Blaine's body. It all points to a small model vehicle. Corroborates what a witness saw, a compact vehicle speeding away with lightning bolts for taillights. That adds up to a 2017-2019 Prius model." She reported, pulling a picture of said vehicle out of a file and taping it up to the board. "Problem is, no Priuses are registered to anyone in the area."