Return of the Prodigal Son

*Mercy Hospital: New York*

". . .So the victim was in the process of getting into a rental car when a bomb went off, injuring her severly." Olivia explained while leading Ana down a hallway.

"And why is SVU handling this case again?" The younger woman inquired as she stopped and turned to face the elder.

"Well, the victim is the wife of a cop, for one. And two, we happen to know the Detective in question fairly well." The Captain replied, trying very hard not to let a smirk slip onto her lips.

The shorter woman was now a little worried to say the least.

"Liv?" She prodded, gently. "Who is it?"

Before the taller could answer, another, familiar, voice spoke up from a few feet away.

"Hey, Shorty."

Ana froze, staring at her sister with wide eyes. It had been a little over 10 years since she last saw or heard the owner of that voice and the younger woman needed to know that she was not hearing things.

Olivia just smiled and nodded at something over her shoulder. The Sergeant swallowed and turned, slowly, finding none other than Elliot Stabler grinning back at her. She barely even registered Fin standing to his right before she was taking off towards her ex-partner.

The shorter woman wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug and he, being a foot taller than her, bent down to return it almost immediately. They stayed like that for a few seconds before Ana suddenly gasped and pulled back as Olivia's words slammed into her like a train.

"Oh, my God, Kathy!"

"She's fine. She's awake, she's talking." Elliot assured with a small chuckle.

The younger woman just sighed in relief and hugged him again. Olivia gave them a few more moments and cleared her throat, forcing them to seperate once again.

"So, uh, the lab found DNA on the cell phone used to trigger the bomb." The Captain informed.

"Any matches?" Elliot wondered.

"There's nothing in the system, so they're checking for close kin DNA." Olivia sighed.

"Do you have enough of a sample for long-range familiar?" Fin inquired.

"Not to match the perp once we find him." The Captain shook her head.

"SVU does genealogical now?" Elliot asked in surprise.

"It has to be backdoor for the ancestry sites and new DNA banks." Ana explained with a smile.

It faded quickly, however, as a shrill beeping filled the area and a bunch of doctors rushed into one of the rooms.

"Hey, what's going on?" Elliot demanded as he ran over in an attempt to join them. "That's my wife."

"Step back, sir." One of the nurses pushed him back.

"Yeah, but I just spoke with her." He argued.

"Sir, you have to move back." The nurse insisted.

"Elliot." Ana called, appearing on his left and grabbing ahold of his hand.

That, alone, was enough to keep him in place.

"Let them get through." Olivia advised, calmly, as she walked up on his right.

The three watched in horror as Kathy flatlined right before their very eyes.

*A Little While Later*